• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Calling Goju-People

SyracuseJundokan

Example could be blocking or kicking. A shorter or taller martial artist might have a slight variation due to size or shape. The basic movement is there, but slightly tailored to the individual.

I've been able to see some of the differences up close and personal. My Uncle is with the IOGKF. My father and I practice GOJU-KAI.

Brian Pralgo

Japanese GOJU-RYU

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I study at the Hombu Dojo of the Sho-Rei-Shobu-Kan Budo Organization under Roseberry Shihan in Lincoln, NE.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

well theres really no point as yousay,but the thing is that there are a lot of fake schools out there.so finding a school with an organization makes it easier to know if it's legit or not.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I know what you mean about "fake schools" - someone takes a seminar from Chuck Norris, suddenly they include Chuck Norris in their lineage (bad example, but you know what I mean.)

But to me, visiting a school and watching them work out tells me quite a bit more than being part of an organization. I've checked out so many schools on the internet, but you can't really tell how they are until you go and watch them in person. Seeing them spar is great too. It speaks volumes.

I've seen so many schools that pay their dues to X organization, but you go into their school and you have kids are running around on the floor playing with PVC pipe and black belts that are going through demonstrations with the intensity of an 80-year old woman. Know what I mean?

how do you define real goju?

I think of my shotokan as real shotokan, but people from a jka background don't, so we end up arguing over who is more traditional.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

One impression of "real" Goju would be that your school's lineage goes back to an Okinawan Goju system linking you directly to Chojun Myagi and nothing in that original system has been taken away.

Not to say that new things can't be added to a traditional system, but nothing can be taken away or it ceases to be a traditional school. That definition probably doesn't suit everybody, but there it is.