Black Belt and Ages

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The youngest black belt in my school is 14, she is far more mature then the average 14 year old, she holds a junior rank

Junior black belts have the exact same requirements as older blackbelts, i believe you have to be 13 for a junior, and 18 for a full, though i may be mistaken

we have a student who is 8 year's old, he earned his brown belt about 6 months ago, he is remarkable for his age, and will be ready in some ways to test for his black long before he is 13

however, he will not be able to test until that age

instead though, the instructor has decided to name a belt after him, a black belt with a brown stripe through it, he will be above brown belt rank, but just below black

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Black belts under 16 hold a junior degree called a poon, at 16 they are given full black belt ranking.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

• 2 months later...

My school has something like that too, called "pooms."

I think it should be based on maturity-not cold, hard ages facts in stone. I've been frustrated countless times because of age restrictions (not only for rank).

For example, I'm exteremely young for my rank and I know I personally understand more of the spiritual/mental elements of my art than many-most?-people in my school older than me.

But it's interesting. TKD is demanding and most (as there are exceptions) younger people's bodies/minds just aren't developed and, you know, there yet.

Anyway, I think it all depends on the individual student. The problem with not enforcing rules is that some not-so-nice dojangs will start awarding black belts left and right. But after all I've said about age restrictions being relative to the student, I really WOULD like to see less of those really little black belts. It's simply not fair to the people-regardless of age-who really and truly deserve it. Black Belt measures time and experience too.