• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Has anyone ever heard of DO HAP SOOL? There is a school that opened near me but I have never heard anything about it.

Thanks

http://www.hapdosool.com/aboutus.htm

It looks like another codified (consolidated) art, where they pick and choose pieces to make their own art.

I do have issues with a couple of the claims on the site, mostly the last paragraph - "Meditated for four years on combining techniques". While that may be true, phrases like that always kick up an alarm for me.

http://www.hapdosool.com/techniques.htm

Like I said, it looks like a codification of a lot of different pieces. I'd watch classes for a while before I committed, just to see what it was first.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

yeah be wary of meditation on techiques ..... sounds a bit interesting to me... :D

Always seem to be agreeing iwth you aodhan, must be all the TKD.

It also seems to combine aspects of other things.... yoga?! to make the art seem more complete.... best advice is to just check it out.

I recently started learning the Do Hap Sool forms from a local school and I find that it is more fun and more interesting than TKD ever was for me.

I don't know a lot about the history of this martial art but I was able to watch some classes and I really liked what I was seeing...something different and unique...at least to me it was.

The price is great and my 6 year old daughter and I are learning together.

Glad you like it!

MADAD, the best best thing for you to do would probably be to go along and watch a couple of classes - see what you think. You'll never really now unless you go along to watch and then try a class. Good luck!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Aodhan,

I think you have the wrong Art, it is (Do Hap Sool) not (Hap Do Sool), very very different!

Can you give us the differences? I looked as hard as I could on the internet and couldn't find any reference sites that had "Do hap sool", other than one or two people that claimed mastery in it. Hap do sool I could find.

And, doesn't the name translate the same? Kind of like calling tae kwon do, do tae kwan?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Do Hap Sool is VERY different then TKD. im a first Dan in TKD, and i jsut started DHS. i have about 200+ hours into DHS right now. DHS is more a Shaolin Kung Fu then a Karate. the movements are fluid, non stopping, and based alot on momentum. this art is a lot more difficult then TKD but also a lot more practical. TKD focuses a lot on kicks...high, strong, fast. DHS will simply take you out.

DHS also derives a lot from animal type forms...much like Shaolin Kung Fu. forms such as praying mantis will focus on hooks, where as forms like bear well focus on upper arm. so apply this to many animals....eagle-aerial, mole-ground, etc. DHS also incorporates a lot of weapons usage. to get your first belt you are required to know rope, staff, and si. so theres a brief view into DHS

Do Hap Sool is VERY different then TKD. im a first Dan in TKD, and i jsut started DHS. i have about 200+ hours into DHS right now. DHS is more a Shaolin Kung Fu then a Karate. the movements are fluid, non stopping, and based alot on momentum. this art is a lot more difficult then TKD but also a lot more practical. TKD focuses a lot on kicks...high, strong, fast. DHS will simply take you out.

Ok so Do Hap Sool is different than TKD. What's the difference between Do Hap Sool and Hap Sool Do? (someone previously asked, but I'm suspecting there is no difference, just different ways to say the name).

DHS also derives a lot from animal type forms...much like Shaolin Kung Fu. forms such as praying mantis will focus on hooks, where as forms like bear well focus on upper arm. so apply this to many animals....eagle-aerial, mole-ground, etc. DHS also incorporates a lot of weapons usage. to get your first belt you are required to know rope, staff, and si. so theres a brief view into DHS

Can you give us any references - like good DHS websites or possibly even books. Also do you know who the founder is and whether or not this art was derived from one of the original kwans that opened in post occupation Korea in 1945-1947? (most korean arts can be traced back to one of these, even the founders of the different korean arts.)