• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preparing for Kyokushin tournament

Isshinryudo

Hey 2_sub,congratulations. wazari + wazari=ippon! Russian dudes are some hard, hard guys. They seem more immune to pain than many others. Why did you switch to IKO 3?

Russians seem to be made of steal , lol ..

About switching to IKO 3 , my original sensei stopped instructing at the dojo 6 month ago , so I had two options : the first was to stay at the dojo and train under a nidan who - in my opinion - is not that good , and the second was to check the other kyokushin dojos .Bottom line : best instructor i found was an IKO 3 representative .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

y2_sub, the referee made the right decision. It is a KNOCKDOWN tournament. To score an Ippon the fighter must be knocked down for 3-5 seconds. To score wazari, when he or she is struck, they must turn their back on you as if they are unable to continue or the must go down on one knee, due to the attack or one or both of their hands must touch the floor, again as a result of the attack. I have seen it many times where a fighter feels they should have received a full or half point when in fact if you are up on the rules the refree is usually right. As I am sure alot of you will know, being a corner judge or a referee is not an easy job. You must not only be very up on your rules, but you must be so tuned into the fight that you can call points and infractions the instant they happen. Not an easy job. I know, have done it for along time.

As a side note, for you Kyokushin practioners, and for anyone who might be interested go to https://www.kyokushin.ca and have a look at the article on Kata.

very informative.

OSU

• 2 weeks later...

rules will vary, but i participated in a tournament recently where judges seemed much more likely to award ippon for a kick to the head, even if it didn't connect cleanly or very hard.

so watch your head especially (not that you wouldn't be already, right?), and if you're tall, you might want to reconsider the kick to the head thing - it's a distinct advantage over someone shorter who might have a tough time reaching.

btw, i agree that judging is a tough job! they take alot of abuse and deserve much credit for taking on the role.

Hi , i'm a kyokushin from Denver CO, i'm going to Rochester too but i dont know yet if I compete or not, anyway I have some experience in competition.

You need verry good stamina and you need to be able to receive kicks and punches. Lot's of bag and pads work and verry important lot's of sparring.If you need some more detalies ask me.

Good Luck !

Osu !

rules will vary, but i participated in a tournament recently where judges seemed much more likely to award ippon for a kick to the head, even if it didn't connect cleanly or very hard.

They usually count a clean kick to the head as a WAZARI (half point ) in the junior or bigenners divisions only , however , in the advanced fighters divisions , such a kick is not counted unless it connected real real hard .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Good luck for the tourney!

How's the prperation going? Your Sensei still beating the heck out of you?? :brow:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!