Isshinryudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that in mind, my sensei followed up on Saturdays beatdown of me (oh my legs) with a thrashing during Sanchin practice yesterday. He kicked me so hard in the thigh (where it was already sore), OH MAMA!-

Osu.

Thats good that your sensei is getting your thighs conditioned. The outer thigh has plenty of muscle and it can take more punishment, but the inside of the thigh is what can really get you. Although you have plenty of muscle there as well, you have more nerves that run through there, and being hit there several times can cause serious bruising. If you get hit on the outside of your thighs, just learn to absorb the impact or block it with the outside of your shin, like the Muay Thai fighters do. This is why foot work is important. You want to minimize the punishment on the inner thigh area by moving. Just incase you're wondering what sabaki is. It can mean different things, but I'm talking about ashi-sabaki/tai-sabaki. It's about outmaneuvering your opponent by using fast, springy movements, kinda of like suri ashi, but you're trying to move to your opponents blind spot. Enshin and Ashihara style karate use sabaki the most. Isshinryudo, OSU!

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

sabaki sounds interesting.

never heard of that term or suri ashi.

i'll look more into it. thanks

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Hello-

I am an Isshinryu student (18 months). We spar pretty hard but not all out like Kyokushin. My sensei is very prepared to train me (he has already started kicking the crap out of me, full contact, no equipment). Other than the physical demands I was wondering if anyone had any tactics, strategies and recommendations.

I am strong 250lber with pretty good endurance and train hard. I plan on losing about 20-25 lbs . I am not that concerned about stamina. I know I am going against guys that are used to getting hit all the time and train that way. This will be a challenge. I have 4 months to train.

Osu.

having trained in kyokushin for 5 years and having fought in kyokushin tournaments in japan, if stamina & endurance is not a issue, then BODY CONDITIONING - BODY CONDITIONING.

your sensei has already put you on the right path with sparing without pads. very good training. u may also, want to set up some 2X4 posts, wrap the top and middle of the post in rope and begin punching and kicking.

also, if this kyokushin tournament is going to be done like japan, your technique must be clean. it does not matter if you make contact. the strike must be a clean hit. kyokushin judges are picky about that. i can't tell you how many times i "thought" i scored the point, but the ref never called it.

good luck to you in your tournament!

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

having trained in kyokushin for 5 years and having fought in kyokushin tournaments in japan, if stamina & endurance is not a issue, then BODY CONDITIONING - BODY CONDITIONING.

your sensei has already put you on the right path with sparing without pads. very good training. u may also, want to set up some 2X4 posts, wrap the top and middle of the post in rope and begin punching and kicking.

also, if this kyokushin tournament is going to be done like japan, your technique must be clean. it does not matter if you make contact. the strike must be a clean hit. kyokushin judges are picky about that. i can't tell you how many times i "thought" i scored the point, but the ref never called it.

Agreed.

Lol. Kenpo_fighter , it's not only the case in Japan , it's all over the world :bawling: , the last time i fought under kyokushin rules ( 3 weeks ago ) , I hit my opponent REAL hard on the stomach , he actually bended with the strike , i thought they will reward me an ipon ........... the ref continued the fight as nothing happened (but that was my opening , lol ..)

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Agreed.

Lol. Kenpo_fighter , it's not only the case in Japan , it's all over the world :bawling: , the last time i fought under kyokushin rules ( 3 weeks ago ) , I hit my opponent REAL hard on the stomach , he actually bended with the strike , i thought they will reward me an ipon ........... the ref continued the fight as nothing happened (but that was my opening , lol ..)

hello, y2_sub.

didn't know that. and now i know "and knowing is half the battle", so i'm told. lol. i've only fought in one tournament since my return to the U.S. and my return to the martial arts. good to hear that kyokushin rules still apply elsewhere in the world like back home.

where did you fight your last kyokushin tournament? how did you do? would be intrested to know. do u know of any kyokushin tournaments in or around the Tennessee area? would love to start fighting in those tournaments again!

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

the last time i fought under kyokushin rules ( 3 weeks ago ) , I hit my opponent REAL hard on the stomach , he actually bended with the strike , i thought they will reward me an ipon ........... the ref continued the fight as nothing happened (but that was my opening , lol ..)

Unless it was an ippon, the ref wouldn't have stopped the fight. But a decent punch like that should have got you a wazari. Nice. How did you place?

Unless it was an ippon, the ref wouldn't have stopped the fight. But a decent punch like that should have got you a wazari. Nice. How did you place?

Hello guys :karate:

I got my Ipon after two other strikes to the stomach :brow: , the tournament was the " 4th Liberation Kyokushin Karate Tournament" in my homecountry of Lebanon and that was my first match against a local fighter , the second fight was against a guy from kuwait , i won that one as well (mawashi geri to the head) , and the final fight was against a russian ( tough dude ) he won by decision so i placed second

I guess you can find lots of informations about kyokushin in the U.S. and Canada in the site https://www.kyokushincanada.com , sechdules , dojos , instructors ............ , or try a google search , i would be happy to see you returning to kyokushinkai Kenpo_fighter , good luck with that

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Hey 2_sub,congratulations. wazari + wazari=ippon! Russian dudes are some hard, hard guys. They seem more immune to pain than many others. Why did you switch to IKO 3?

Hey Kenpo fighter, Why the switch from kyokushin to kenpo? I almost walked into a Shorinji Kenpo dojo today just to check it out.

Hey Kenpo fighter, Why the switch from kyokushin to kenpo?

i originally started training in the martial arts at 8 yrs. old in japan. my father was in the navy and my family lived on the navy base where he was stationed at. i studied for about 5 years and got into high school. while there, of course being a teenager, i wanted to explore other athletic opportunities. so, i stopped studying and began playing american football, baseball, wrestling, & track & field all 4 years in high school.

now, back in the states, living in tennesee to be near my family, there are no kyokushin dojos anywhere near where i live. but, there was a kenpo karate school that was part of the Tracy's Kenpo Karate organization. they teach in the original form kenpo.

so, it was not really an option to continue my kyokushin training. cannot study what is not being offered locally. and i didn't want to study in a american taewando organization like ATA or something like that, where full contact is not permitted. Fortunately, my kenpo dojo where i currently study is run in the traditional fashion in which the martial arts was meant to be studied. we've the reputation of being the roughest martial arts school in the area, where bones are bruised, muscles are pulled, joints are sprained, eyes are black or have the possiblity of turning black, & holes in the walls.

in order to give a whipping, one must be able to take one.