• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preparing for Kyokushin tournament

Isshinryudo

Hello-

I am an Isshinryu student (18 months). We spar pretty hard but not all out like Kyokushin. My sensei is very prepared to train me (he has already started kicking the crap out of me, full contact, no equipment). Other than the physical demands I was wondering if anyone had any tactics, strategies and recommendations.

I am strong 250lber with pretty good endurance and train hard. I plan on losing about 20-25 lbs . I am not that concerned about stamina. I know I am going against guys that are used to getting hit all the time and train that way. This will be a challenge. I have 4 months to train.

Osu.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This all depends on what type of tournament you'll be fighting in. Is it a knock down competition like Kyokushin? Or is it a point competition? If you're doing a full contact bare knuckle knockdown competition then I suggest plenty of conditioning, and I mean plenty! If you're confident about your stamina then work on conditioning. Get used to being hit in the chest, ribs, stomach, legs etc. It's hard to get used to being hit in the ribs, just remember to use your elbows as cover for your ribs when a barrage of punches is coming in. Use a sand bag to condition the instep of your foot and shins. Your arms will naturally get conditioned by blocking punches to your upperbody. Work on doing lots of foot work, sabaki mainly. Don't get into the habit of wasting movement by dancing around the mat. Move only when you have to. Work on developing a strong gedan mawashi geri, because it really helps when you're trying to tear down your opponents legs, also work on your mae geri. Mae geri isn't used as often as a mawshi geri, but it can be devastating when it lands. Do these things even if the tournament requires protective equipment. I'm just babbling. Bottom line is you should work on everything. Train as hard as you can. Eat, drink, and sleep knock down competition. Good luck! OSU!

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

Just to answer some questions. There are two options at this tournament- one is the bareknuckle, no hands to the face. The other is full contact also, but with pads (hands and feet), and no face contact period. Because I am not much of a headkicker, my sensei advised going with the equipment. I still must be conditioned to take punishment of course as some of you recommended.

With that in mind, my sensei followed up on Saturdays beatdown of me (oh my legs) with a thrashing during Sanchin practice yesterday. He kicked me so hard in the thigh (where it was already sore), OH MAMA!

Its all good though. I am loving it. I love Karate!

Osu.