• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the 5 root styles of Karate from Okinawa...?

CrippledFingers

Although I am not a student of Goju-Ryu I have been living and training in Okinawa for 18 years now. Higaonna Kanryo is considered by the Okinawans to be the original founder of Goju-Ryu as a style although the name came later from Miyagi Chojun his number one pupil. Linage is always a touchy subject, but in this case you will find linage charts for goju-ryu in okinawa start with Higaonna sensei.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am not a student of Goju-Ryu I have been living and training in Okinawa for 18 years now. Higaonna Kanryo is considered by the Okinawans to be the original founder of Goju-Ryu as a style although the name came later from Miyagi Chojun his number one pupil. Linage is always a touchy subject, but in this case you will find linage charts for goju-ryu in okinawa start with Higaonna sensei.

as you said this is a touchy subject but right or wrong

higaonna's name mostly comes along Naha-te while Miyagi's name along with goju ryu, here you can see where the goverment of Okinawa stands:

The founder of Goju-ryu was Chojun Miyagi (1888-1953). He became a disciple of Kanryo Higaonna (1853-1915), the founder of the Naha-te style, when he was 14. He endured harsh ascetic practices and in 1915 went to Fujian Province in China to perfect his skills in the martial arts. He also undertook a lot of research on noted Chinese warriors. As a result, he was able to take over and organize karate techniques and the principles of the martial arts that he had been taught. He consolidated modern karate-do, incorporating effective elements of both athletics and the martial arts in addition to the principles of reason and science.

Chojun Miyagi's most promising disciple, Jinan Shinzato, gave a demonstration at the 'All Japan Martial Arts Tournament Offering Congratulations on the Emperor's Accession' held in Meiji Jingu Shrine in 1929. Afterwards he was asked what school of karate he belonged to. When he returned home, he told master Miyagi about this and Miyagi decided to choose the name Goju-ryu (the hard-soft style), inspired by one of the 'Eight Precepts' of Kempo, written in the Bubishi, and meaning 'The way embraces both hard and soft, both inhalation and exhalation. The main characteristic of Goju-ryu is the 'respiration method' accompanied by vocal exclamations, emphasizing 'inhaling and exhaling'and 'bringing force in and sending force out'.

The kata of Goju-ryu are broadly divided into: Sanchin (basics), Kaishu-gata (open hand forms), and Heishu-gata (closed hand forms). The traditional kata passed down from Kanryo Higaonna to the present include: Sanchin, Saifa, Seienchin, Shisochin, Sanseiryu, Seipai, Kururunfa, Seisan, and Suparinpe (or Pecchurin). In addition to such traditional kata, Goju-ryu has added Kokumin Fukyugata, a series of kata created by Chojun Miyagi for the nationwide popularization of the school-Gekisai I, Gekisai II and Tensho-which complete the kata of Goju-ryu for Tanren.

ref.: https://www.wonder-okinawa.jp

Hi One troof

no i wish i could ,i really wanted to be there ,but we were kind of baned,

Really? What for? We had TSD folks there, Shito Ryu, Shotokan, TKD even Shuri Ryu. That's odd. Later.

You can't fade me, man!

I just wanted to add that I have met many great Goju-ka. As a ryu it is very strong as is evidenced from great teachers like Morio Higaonna. Most good Okinawan karate I've seen in the states was of the Naha-Te variety, whether Uechi Ryu or Goju Ryu. I have seen a few select Shorin people who were good, but they were few and far between.

Goju Ryu has kept the ti element of karate intact. Their use of hojo undo equipment like Chi-ishi, earthen jars and the iron bo (as well as many others) will never die out. We do the same taining in my current dojo and find these aspects of karate training indispensable to doing sound Okinawan karate.

Much respect to all the Goju Ryu practitioners out there.

Bryan Cyr, Nidan, International Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Karatejutsu Association

You can't fade me, man!

Hi One troof

Really? What for? We had TSD folks there, Shito Ryu, Shotokan, TKD even Shuri Ryu. That's odd. Later.

same old story of ray keller,

Hi One troof

same old story of ray keller,

'Nuff said.

Keller Sensei was there for Lindsey Sensei's promotion. He did Passai Dai (I think) and it looked pretty damn good.

You can't fade me, man!