• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To All Veterans and Active Military

What was the extent of your hand-to-hand/unarmed/bayonet/close combat training in basic training? Did you receive any hand-to-hand instruction afterward from the military?

I'd appreciate it if you could also tell me what branch of service and when you went through basic training.

Finally, thank you for your service to our country.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the extent of your hand-to-hand/unarmed/bayonet/close combat training in basic training? Did you receive any hand-to-hand instruction afterward from the military?

I'd appreciate it if you could also tell me what branch of service and when you went through basic training.

Finally, thank you for your service to our country.

HHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Oh, that's a good one!! :D :D

I receieved no hand to hand/unarmed type training. I entered the Air Force as a medic in 1993. I made their pararescue (Air rescue group) in basic, and was disqualified by the Navy dive school for my eyesight. (For which they started issuing waivers 1 month later...me bitter? nah...). Other than the pararescue training, I left basic in worse shape than when I went in.

Unless you get into one of the SF groups (Special Forces), I don't think you will see much other than very basic hand to hand. AFAIK, it just doesn't happen much anymore for the basic grunt type unit.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I got my commision via the Air Force Academy. The unarmed combat classes we took while attending there were two 8 lesson courses of rather laughable depth, content and practicality. As freshmen we were required to either do boxing or wrestling. Many people (like me) did intramural boxing as well (which I liked and I was on the boxing team my freshmen year...I didn't keep up with it because if I kept cutting weight I'd probably disappear).

Our basic training (different from the rest of the Air Force) was more just your usual rifle runs, umpteen number of pushups, up-downs, situps, obstacle courses, and many sadistic and interesting exercises. I was already in excellent shape, but basic training kept me in shape (the fact that it was a mile-and-a-half above sea level helped) as did the haze of freshman year.

But yes, in terms of martial arts, it isn't something the Air Force really focuses on...Ditto on the conclusions above.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I got my commision via the Air Force Academy.

My father was a graduate of one of the first classes to graduate from the AFA. He flew medivac helicopters in Vietnam. I think he is on one of the plaques, he died in between his third and what would have been his fourth tour.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

John Will http://www.bjj.com.au/ has been hired by the US Marines to restructure their whole hand to hand combat training. The Marines have built a whole new multi million dollar complex in Virginia to teach Martial Arts. The Marines new slogan is "Every Marine a Black Belt"

What was the extent of your hand-to-hand/unarmed/bayonet/close combat training in basic training?

A 2 hour course of basically aggressive, sloppy hard kicking, swinging and pugal (sp?) sticks. Looking back, it was worthless.

Did you receive any hand-to-hand instruction afterward from the military?

None

US Army, 1972-1974

You're welcome. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Like Aodhan, I was enlisted in the USAF. We received no hand-to-hand training, but I was sure to find a local school where ever I was stationed to keep active. (Being a computer programmer, I guess there wasn't much of a need for hand-to-hand!)

Fu sheng wu lian tianzun

2nd Dan - Shaolin Kempo

Drunken Master's Classic Kung Fu Theater | DojoZen.com