Transitioning between Degrees of Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i think drunken monkey got me on that ..... just talking about dedication - not difficulty of grading... if they didnt get harder what would the point be?

I'm with Master Jules and ShorinRyu Sensei. It's not something that manifests near, on or after a belt test. You train. As, you train your understanding of the techniques grow (hopefully). I don't know about everyone else but my understanding of my arts now as opposed to when I was say a 5th kyu is much much different. It sometimes doesn't even seem like the same style when I think about it.

As for belt tests, I don't put much weight on them. I'd much rather watch a person during an "ordinary" training session. A belt test is more of a recognition ceremony to me.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Exactly right Sasori Te.....Its just a way of saying.... "good job of training and learning up to now...now keep going....and Oh...btw....heres another belt to hold up your pants"

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

lol = my pants are elasticated - maybe i should quit now.

I agree as well about wathcing people in normal sessions - the difference in some students is massive, so the tests arent necessarily representative of their overall dedication to the art, only their dedication to their next belt.... which is rather self serving IMHO.

......."elasticated".......niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.....I like that word.....LOL

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Thanks,

I certainly understand that nothing changes on the day of a belt test. My question was vague and I apologize for that. I meant to ask how have you changed since you were Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, ect. I know that it's not a sudden change, but if I look back to when I was a Shodan, I can clearly see a difference to me now. I would like to think that this progression continues throughout the ranks.

Thanks again.