• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transitioning between Degrees of Black Belt

For those that are in the upper ranks of Black Belt, what was the transition like between 3rd and 4th, 4th and 5th, etc.? I've been at 2nd Dan for a while, and I'm starting to feel the transition into 3rd I think. How do things change - if at all?

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent noticed much of a change at all......I just keep training, and when Im told "youre gonna be tested".....I still just keep training. The only thing of signifigant difference was that after my 4th dan test, I was told that the requirements for my 5th dan test were to create a system of my own from all I have learned over the last 30 years, which I did, and I passed my 5th dan test.....but nothing else has changed.....I just keep training.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

LOL.....yes....I feel much more proficient at the keyboard now ;-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

In my experience, the transition within the black belts isn't really a major deal or have any real effect or make any difference. As Master Jules stated...we just keep training.

:lol: we have black belts in keyboarding! :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

In my experience, the transition within the black belts isn't really a major deal or have any real effect or make any difference. As Master Jules stated...we just keep training.

:lol: we have black belts in keyboarding! :D

(sigh), I keep wondering when I will move to my next belt in keyboarding. Seems like I've been at orange forever. :bawling:

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

The Grandmaster at my school told us that it took him 4-5 years to move to the next degree of black belt. He is a 9th degree and it took him a long time to move to the hgher levels (4 and higher).

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

Our sensei has been training martial arts for roughly 50 years and holds an eighth dan... clearly the ranks come slower when you reach the upper atmosphere.

As far as personal feelings, I never really felt different when I was promoted... still come to the same classes and learn from the same people.

Jason B.

Hendersonville, NC

"I'm not really eccentric... I'm not eccentric unless that means 'crazy', which I am, probably." - Kyoshi Doug Perry

and so you made it blue belt Aodhan.....

I'm grading for my second dan in TKD soon - i'm interested to see if it makes any difference to me, other than being happy with passing.