• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which part of the world does karate really belong to?

Monkeymagic

Okinawan, Japanese or Western?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Okinawan, Japanese or Western?

• Okinawan
    • Japanese
    • Western

I don't know where karate derived from, but Okinawa seems the most feasible choice - besides, the Sensei from "Karate Kid" was from Okinawa, and he can't be wrong because he can mend bikes and he has 10 classic American cars.

Whoever invented it, cheers guys, I'm loving it!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Karate kid movies are almost a joke. :P

i can't say an answer to this question though. in my opinion, it belongs to all Easterners and maybe picked up by everyone and anyone else. it is mostly creditied to Asians in general for all i know.

As for the Westerners taking top position on this, well...no, they did not found it. all around the world everyone wants to be 'the best' and by all means it going to go from place to place, person to person. The winners can be full of themselves or the surrounding people can be overly encourgable. There are compititions every where. Who is the best in Martial Arts. it's all just a nationality thing. I was so Glad to here that Canada Won Against the Americans last July in Ohio! Of course, you can't blame me. But it's not a title or claim to the sport it's self. it's individual.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

Karate Kids movies supposed to be a joke??? They are a joke, hence my reference to them - but I suppose they're not meant to be a serious representation of karate - it's good for kids though, get them into the idea at least of martial arts. It's all good!

Actually, I read in Black Belt Magazine a couple months ago, think it was like April, May, or June edition, that said Karate, before it had come to Okinawa, had come from Korea & had flourished there 90 years prior to. Don't know if there's any real validity to it. But, don't think Black Belt would publish an article like that at risk to the repuation. Anyway, something to think about & research.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

Actually, I read in Black Belt Magazine a couple months ago, think it was like April, May, or June edition, that said Karate, before it had come to Okinawa, had come from Korea & had flourished there 90 years prior to. Don't know if there's any real validity to it. But, don't think Black Belt would publish an article like that at risk to the repuation. Anyway, something to think about & research.

Hmm interesting, i dont think that was the case because of distance and politics however yea something to research perhaps.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn