• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which part of the world does karate really belong to?

Monkeymagic

Okinawan, Japanese or Western?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Okinawan, Japanese or Western?

• Okinawan
    • Japanese
    • Western

I agree unfortunatly I think some people think if a nation does better at sport karate then their the better one.

its as sad a fact as tournaments where punching to the head (with sparring gear) is prohibited & yet they claim "A full Contact tournament" on the flyer.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karate does not belong to a nation.

Karate is evolving and changing.

Japanese Karate is no more okinawian karate anymore than okinawian karate is chinese.(except TKD that's just plain bad shotokan.)

Right now Karate belongs to the europeans, who do kata better, and understand much more about spirit, fighting, and training.

Anyway, my vote.

I did say use the term 'belong' loosely. I wanted discussion of what this meant to people in the karate world.

How can you proove that Europeans, who do kata better, understand more about spirit, fighting and training?

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

• 1 month later...

hmmmm..........I voted okinawa, but as I read the replies, I almost wished I voted Japan.

A lot of people, and I mean a LOT, credit the 36 families from china with the beginning of Karate. but we forget, or never learned, that between the 700-1100 AD a lot of samurai fled to Okinawa bringing with them forms of kempo and jujitsu, the 36 families did not reach Okinawa untill 1396 AD.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

Thanks for your opinions. I am just trying to see whether people really think karate belongs to a nation or whether thay have another opinion.

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)