• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which part of the world does karate really belong to?

Monkeymagic

Okinawan, Japanese or Western?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Okinawan, Japanese or Western?

• Okinawan
    • Japanese
    • Western

Okinawans have more Japanese blood than anything else. Not to stray too much off topic here, but Japanese in general were convinced of their own superiority over all neighboring asian countries. Whether it was the Koreans, Chinese, Okinawans, Filipinos etc. It didn't matter if the Okinawans had Chinese heritage or not. It was because they were stocky, hairy and spoke funny. Even if some of them looked Japanese all they needed was a Okinawan name and they were taunted. Some of the older generation Japanese and Okinawans still have the same feelings towards one another.

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats because they viewed the Okinawans as Chinese, considering that the history of Okinawa shows that it was founded by 36 Chinese families

Which history? All the ones I've read have Okinawa firmly established, complete with a monarch, by the time the 36 families arrived in (1388?).

Jason B.

Hendersonville, NC

"I'm not really eccentric... I'm not eccentric unless that means 'crazy', which I am, probably." - Kyoshi Doug Perry

So, would Funakoshi be the real founder of karate, since he pre-dominantley introduced his form of karate to Japan. Thus, as he was Okinawan, and his martial art, karate is Okinawan?

:karate:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

Miyagi's Goju Ryu predates Funakoshi, but Miyagis teacher, Kanryo Higashionna was the founder of Naha Te. That he created after returning from his studies in China.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• 2 weeks later...

Karate does not belong to a nation.

Karate is evolving and changing.

Japanese Karate is no more okinawian karate anymore than okinawian karate is chinese.(except TKD that's just plain bad shotokan.)

Right now Karate belongs to the europeans, who do kata better, and understand much more about spirit, fighting, and training.

Anyway, my vote.

Japanese Karate is no more okinawian karate anymore than okinawian karate is chinese.(except TKD that's just plain bad shotokan.)

Right now Karate belongs to the europeans, who do kata better, and understand much more about spirit, fighting, and training.

Anyway, my vote.

But I thought you said it doesnt belong to a nation?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Anyway, my vote.

But I thought you said it doesnt belong to a nation?

yeah. what's up with that?

anyway, i don't believe europeans can do karate any better than an american or japanese for that matter as far as kata, kumite, & spirit are concerned. that has nothing to do with ones background. it has to do with a persons heart & honor. having trained in japan & grew up in a multicultural environment all my life, i speak from experience. there is no & should not be "europeans are better / asians are better / americans are better, etc." anybody who thinks that has leraned absolutely nothing from the martial arts. and they are simply wrong for thinking that. and there are no bad students, just bad teachers.

you cannot define a warrior by the path from which he walks, but how it is he treads that path.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

I agree unfortunatly I think some people think if a nation does better at sport karate then their the better one.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn