• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Head Kicks

right on ad!!!

three60roundhouse ... I disagree with your comment still. I don't believe that TKD carries a horrible reputation. Yes, it is a long range style primarily. Those who are uneducated in the style of TKD and in martial arts styles in general are ignorant period ... lets not keep bringing up that term McDojo .... I truly feel it is overused!

There is a time and a place for every kick (when you are in the situation you know when to use it and when not to. Chances are you may never need to or want to in a street fight situation but as I posted earlier, scores points in competions (specially when you cannot punch to head) ... ah, but when the moment is right and you plant one.... man does it ever feel good ...(well maybe not to the other guy!)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, basically it describes the type of school where more often than not, it is a franchise where you can attain a black belt in a max of 2 years ... show me the money you get a belt.

"McDojo’s Over 99 Million Promotions Served!"

...you want fries with that???oh btw ... awesome ... congrats to you!!!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-21 20:04 ]

I do TKD now, and I can do head kicks. In school, they're fun and flashy, specially to score points in sparring and breaking. I can even do a few tricks (540, split kick, ect). But I WILL NOT do them outside of the school. In a real fight, I'd kick low (nads/ tummy/ kidneys, ect). I stick to the basics (front kick, side kick, and low round house kicks). I agree that the head kicks are way too risky. You are just asking for someone to catch the kick and pound you.

Laurie F

• 4 months later...

High kicks can be risky depending on who you are fighting.

Only a highly trained fighter can stop a front heel kick to the jaw, which by the way can be deployed from infighting range.

High kicks have never been part of my streetfighting strategy although I have used them effectively in street fights.

Once you throw a kick in a street fight your opponent is just waiting to grab your leg and give you a "flexibility test" so you better make the first one count.

If a person can't throw lightning fast kicks without telegraphing then he/she would be smart not to attempt them in a real life situation. Also, knowing what to do when somebody actually grabs your leg should be part of everyone's training.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

Mcdojo as in McDonalds. Suggests the club is a franchise which all clubs are!!! The chances are every one here trains in a Mcdojo.

Unless an independant master set up a club and ran it in his own name without external connections then that isn't a mcdojo.

But anyone who is part of an organisation is in a Mcdojo!!! They sell grades, licenses, insurance, suits, pads and let you use the organisations name. Hence a franchise and hence a Mcdojo. So really very few clubs aren't Mcdojos so it's a stupid term.

If you've got enough money you can run a restaurant and buy into the mcdonalds franchise and sell their burgers and fries under their name.

Bretty

Trained in several different "Mcdojos" and McMartial arts

Quite simply: high kicks can be effective when executed properly. I think that that has already been stated. IF you can execute the kick properly, ie with timing, placement, speed, and power then the kick becomes completely useful and most effective. But the same can be said about any attack.

On a side note: A kick to my thighs, regardless of the strength(believe me I have been kicked there quite hard in training) does nothing to affect the way I continue the fight. Low kicks to the legs, in my experience, are easy to evade. They're easily noticeable and all I have to do to avoid is simply step back and you've missed.

What I like is the feign combos. Feign a kick to the legs, when his guards/focus shifts then bring your kick to the head. A feign works miracles.

A lot of this primary focus to the legs/knees, lower torso leaves one to wonder where your attention is. If you are targeting your opponents legs are you watching his top?

Personally, I don't believe in limiting yourself to any one strategy. I believe that you should train to fight using every weapon in your arsenal and then when the fight comes just fighting. You've been trained to fight, so simply fight. Worrying, low kick vs high kick is going to take your eye away from the core of the fight and you're not going to fight as effectively as you possibly could.

As much as I don't like to quote Mr. Lee, he said it wonderfully in the Enter the Dragon, "Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory."

High kicks work. I have used them. But that's just it: used. They're a tool for a specific job. When working on a project you'll want every tool for every job in case you encounter something you need a specific tool for. Better to have the tool and not use it than to need the tool and not have it.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein