• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Head Kicks

The fist can get to the head faster than a foot can.

I dont see the point really myself.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, but like I said (this is where the "point" is) in certain tournaments (TKD especially) punches to the head will disqualify you however, a any type of jump/spin/round to the head will warrant you some points. These tournaments throw me off because I love coming from the side with a hook or backfist .... when we do point sparring in class I have to redirect my attacks to my legs and it is actually quite difficult at times not to use my hands.

Every situation is different specially outside the dojo ... if you can clock someone upside the head with a kick .... chances are they are going down!

1st dan Black Belt Tae Kwon Do (ITF)/ CardioKickbox/Fitness Instructor

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-05 04:41 ]

I'd love to throw a head kick in a fight, big round house, shin to chin and watch em fall.

I've noticed when you get beginners come to the club who have never done a martial arts before wouldn't even know how to block it or expect it. jab cross rear leg round house, the best combination in the world. watch 'em fall!!!

Mind you i find people even with or without any martial arts training in a real fight tend to fall into the instinctive head down and flail style of fighting making it hard to hit the head. so it's dificult. i say line them up with a couple of punches first then a thigh kick then catch them off balance with the chin hot. beautiful!!

Or maybe just throw a big axe kick and watch it come down and cave in there head. most people would look up at it :uhoh: as it comes down onto there face.

Dribble,

Bretty

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-03-05 05:14 ]

Personally, the only time I'd throw a kick to the head is if the attacker were bent over. Whether it be because he's charging to tackle, or bent over from a gut shot.

I would never attempt a kick to the head if he was fully upright.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

hmm im pretty tall, so if in a street situation i might try a few head shots if my target isnt too tall, for safety and all, unless if i daze em, and wanna do something flashy :brow:

On 2002-03-05 04:40, KickChick wrote:

in certain tournaments (TKD especially) punches to the head will disqualify you however, a any type of jump/spin/round to the head will warrant you some points. These tournaments throw me off because I love coming from the side with a hook or backfist .... when we do point sparring in class I have to redirect my attacks to my legs and it is actually quite difficult at times not to use my hands.

Every situation is different specially outside the dojo ... if you can clock someone upside the head with a kick .... chances are they are going down!

This is where you have to draw a very wide line between sparring and self defense. Sparring, especially point sparring, is mostly possible because it has rules to prevent many injuries. A couple of these rules are 1.) usually no grabbing the legs and breaking them you catch them and 2.) no full contact kicks.

Sparring is a game of tag. I want to hit you ASAP to score a point, while remaining within the rules. Even if you hit me after I hit you, it's ok, because if my judges are paying attention they will most likely see that I hit you first. Those are some of the rules. In the street, there are no rules. And IMHO, if you're not training to grab people's legs, you're not preparing yourself for those people out there that think that they can get away with a kick to the head in real self defense.

Wise man once said "he who has big mouth has much room for foot."

• 2 weeks later...
Hi..if i was in a street fight i would try to punch them in the head,body and then i would go for kicks..just to look cool :karate:

When you put water into a cup,it becomes the cup.When you put water in a T-Pot,it becomes the T-Pot..be water my friend!!