• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kick to kneecap

I've heard that a kick to the kneecap is a good selfdefence move. Do you throw this kick to the front of the knee or do you mean a round kick to the knee. I would like to know how to execute it for school if I needed to defend myself.

Regards

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that a kick to the kneecap is a good selfdefence move. Do you throw this kick to the front of the knee or do you mean a round kick to the knee. I would like to know how to execute it for school if I needed to defend myself.

Regards

Either woudl work, but you have to be more accurate kicking to the front of the knee.

I think you should reconsider using that technique in a school yard fight, as you can permanently injure a person requiring surgury to put the knee back together. Also something to consider, depending on what country you live in, if you rip out your opponents knee in a school yard fight (assuming you're under 18 years of age), your parents can be held liable for the medical bills and punative damages.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Its a decent move, but its not neccessarily an end all technique.

As far as permanently injuring someone with a kick to the knee- its possible to permanently injure someone with any technique you use in a fight.

You could fracture his jaw with a hard right- if you knock him out, he could crack his skull when he hits the ground. If you tackle a guy and slam him, you could injure his spine.

I believe this technique is most usefull as a setup or a distraction. Its not uncommon for untrained people to try to block a low kick with their hands, during which you usually have a good chance to line up their jaw.

try aiming for the side of the thigh if you hit hard you will make it so they cant walk :)

plus you need to hit really hard to cause any major pain to the knee cap it's a pretty tough joint.

Fist visible Strike invisible

Don't forget that the kneecap is inside a tendon (patella tendon) and to break the actual kneecap there would have to be a fair amount of power in the kick.

I agree with Muaythaiboxer about kicks to the side of the thigh, plus he should know considering the art he is in.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

Listen to Shorinryu's advice....kicks to the knees by a proficient martial artist can PERMANENTLY cripple a person. If you are considering this type of attack, be prepared to reap the legal ramifications that you will face. If you are a minor, as Shorinryu correctly stated, your parents can be held liable for what will wind up being a tremendous civil suit.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Life and death on the street is one thing, but a schoolyard fight is totally different. Ive had the good fortune of meeting and training with Professor Wally Jay at many of his seminars over the last 10 years or so. One of the things that he told me that has really stayed with me over the years was this.....He said that its actually very easy to hurt someone, but what is really impressive is to be able to fully control someone WITHOUT actually hurting them. That takes skill.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Like they said, it is easy to injure the knee. After 10 years of ski patrol I will attest that the most common injury to skiers is knee injuries. Unless the person has a very solid stance, a kick to the knee can do impressive damage. As for attack if I felt the situation needed it I would probably go for a low side kick to either the front or side of the knee (assuming I felt my life was in danger). If it's not a situation where I want to cripple them I would recomend a roundhouse to the lower leg from the side. Often knocks them off balance quite a bit if you follow through.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.