• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bujinkan + Kajukenbo?

I found a bujinkan budo taijutsu (authentic) dojo close to my house, I've always been fascinated by and interested in BBT and would like to see what it's like. Question is, is it any good for street self defense (compared to the likes of traditional okinanwan karate and muay thai/boxing) and would it conflict with my learning ch'uan fa kajuknbo?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I did a few lessons a while ago but cause of other training I couldn't keep going.

I liked it and found it very practical, you should check the place out for yourself though. Anyways good luck with it!!

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

How were the training methods not great?

Also, if someone who is learning or has learned some BBT could post explaining what the downfalls of the system are, I'd really appreciate it.

Also again, the instructor of this school (Corvallis Bujinkan Dojo) is 3rd Dan Dennis King, who studies under an 8th dan, but I forgot his name, I'll get it once I find it, and the 8th daan studies directly under masaaki and make it a point to travel to japan once a year to train with him. Does anyone know of these instructors and if you do how good they are as teachers?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Hey Josh, seems you're still looking for a place to train, huh? I don't know about the place in Corvalis, sorry. I do have a friend who is a blackbelt at my dojo (westside martial arts--up in Portland) who has a couple of guys that he trains with at the University in Corvalis during the school year. He's teaching Shorin-ryu, of course, since that's what he learned. He's also a great wrestler. I've learned a lot about ground techniques and holds from him. If you were interested in such a thing, you could send me a private message and I could hook you up with him.

I found a bujinkan budo taijutsu (authentic) dojo close to my house, I've always been fascinated by and interested in BBT and would like to see what it's like. Question is, is it any good for street self defense (compared to the likes of traditional okinanwan karate and muay thai/boxing) and would it conflict with my learning ch'uan fa kajuknbo?

I'm going to go visit a local studio that teaches bujinkan tomorrow, I'll let you know my first impressions of it.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player