• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

chibana lineage, kusanku dai, Gujoshiho

P.A.L

in kusanku dai, after two punch blocks at the start ,we turn back 90' clockwise ,here i've seen Nakazato does a back fist and side kick together before turnning back with shuto block, i've seen at least 2 other sensei of chibana lineage who turn back with tetsui and front kick and one sensei turns back with middle block front kick(like pinan shodan), how you do this part

in Gujoshiho, 2 Nukite-zuki that we repeat 4 times, after the wrist lock how you initiate? in one dojo we initiate with a front foot half step(you can call it slide) while we do the first Nukite-zuki, then one step and we do the second Nukite. in another dojo we do one big step for first Nukite and one slide for second Nukite-zuki.

kusanku dai , after double block, ( one hand does jodan-uke and one hand does gedan yuko barai uke in a nanami zenkutsu dachi(i prefer to call in kubodo back stance) your jodan hand hit over the gedan hand or under it?Nakazato hit under , i've seen others hit over.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You've asked three questions, so I'll break down my answers numerically.

In kusanku dai, after two punch blocks at the start ,we turn back 90' clockwise ,here i've seen Nakazato does a back fist and side kick together before turnning back with shuto block, i've seen at least 2 other sensei of chibana lineage who turn back with tetsui and front kick and one sensei turns back with middle block front kick(like pinan shodan), how you do this part

Sokutou geri and backfist simultaneously before you turn, osae, and proceed with the the knife-hand blocks.

in Gujoshiho, 2 Nukite-zuki that we repeat 4 times, after the wrist lock how you initiate? in one dojo we initiate with a front foot half step(you can call it slide) while we do the first Nukite-zuki, then one step and we do the second Nukite. in another dojo we do one big step for first Nukite and one slide for second Nukite-zuki.

Hmm....we only take one step and it's heel-toe.

kusanku dai , after double block, ( one hand does jodan-uke and one hand does gedan yuko barai uke in a nanami zenkutsu dachi(i prefer to call in kubodo back stance) your jodan hand hit over the gedan hand or under it?Nakazato hit under , i've seen others hit over.

Under.

Just out of curiousity, which version of Gojushiho are you doing? Chibana didn't teach it regularly (Nakazato did not learn Gojushiho from Chibana), as he considered it an "option" kata (i.e., nice to know but not really necessary). The version we do I've christened "Nakata no Useishi." This is because when my instructor was learning Gojushiho from Chibana, he didn't like all the nukite-zuki. Chibana modified the kata just for him to incorporate the use of closed fist punches instead of the nukite, so I guess you could say we're the only ones who do it that way. :karate:

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

in Gojushiho ,I have two refrence for slide,slide version, one is Matsuda the founder Myobukan shorin ryu his lineage goes to kyan and chibana

second is through (sensei yukoyama)kenshinkai shorin ryu which comes from Nakazato

the half step version i have to ask it my be from Nakazato or fusi kise . both versions use Nukite.

my first question about kusanku dai leads my to another question , in pinan yondan do you use tetsuie and maigeri or sokutu geri and back fist?

Hm...guess I do it the way Nakazato does it.

For Gojushiho, I do a step and then a slide (heel-toe shuffle). I've seen people do it varying ways in my system.

The only kicks I do in pinan yondan are mae geri except for the knee kick towards the end.

What pray tell is a tetsuie? I'm not familiar with that term. The odds are, we may have that technique...I just don't use terms that often...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Shorin Ryuu and I did the same system, so I'm also familiar with the version of Gojushiho Nakazato teaches.

As far as your Pinan Yondan question, I'm assuming you're referring to the first side-to-side sequence right after the first 5 moves (...?).

If this is the case, we do a "side" front kick. That is, imagine doing mae geri, but to the side instead of the front. Your body still faces forward. We also do a side-hammer-fist. The kick and the fist are simultaneous, and the kick is low (groin).

By the way, I'm not too familiar with the Japanese names of the terms (my attitude is that I'm not in Japan so I don't need to speak Japanese in the dojo...my instructor agrees). You might want to fill me in on what "tetsuie" is.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

What pray tell is a tetsuie? I'm not familiar with that term. The odds are, we may have that technique...I just don't use terms that often...

you can call it , oi-zuki(Nagamine the father in "Okinawan karate Do") or oki zuki( nagamine the son), or side hammer fist strike, or chudan yoko kentsui uke(?), or like me you can call it tettsui/tetsuie(hammer fist of course not vertical rather sideward)