• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High kicks, high risk

Ok, about high kicks do you think that they are worth the risk, and could someone explain the physics behind them?

wiseman once say "man who fight with wife all day, get no peice at night"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do u mean by physics?

sometimes they are sometimes they arent depends who you aer and what situation your in,.... just remember its a long way for a foot to travel!

Lets look at it in terms of advantage v disadvantage.

Advantage: Maximum power at great distance

disadvantage: Leaves you open and off balance

Advantage: Instant fight stopper if landed.

disadvantage: leaves you open and off balance.

I would personally have them them in my arsenal because it is too great a weapon to not have. If your timing is good and you have the speed then fine. But don't rely on them as a first or even a second option, but if you see the opprotunity then by all means go ahead and take it.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

yeah - they are good option but would rarely get used.... to used UFC as an example [not saying its a perfect example] but there have been a couple of wins by head kick.

yeah - they are good option but would rarely get used.... to used UFC as an example [not saying its a perfect example] but there have been a couple of wins by head kick.

I've only seen maybe half, or less, of the UFC fights, and correct me iif I'm wrong here, but those KO's by head kick were only after the guy was pretty well about half knocked out already...right?

I agree that "IF" a head kick lands on its target, it can be devasating...but I don't feel that they are worth the risk. Not in a street fight where anything goes.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I have ended fights with a single kick to the head/neck. I know it's anecdotal, but I have to agree with goshinman: Too great a weapon not to have.

All that is requisite is speed and timing. If I can throw a kick as fast as you can throw a punch, why wouldn't I use the kick. If I can utilize it to my advantage why wouldn't I? If I see you coming, and know what you're going to do, why would I not end the fight with a kick to your head/neck?

High kicks are highly underrated by those who cannot utilize them effectively. If you could kick like you could punch you would easily be saying they're great when the opportunity presents itself; just like every other technique in the book. Good for the situation that requires it.

And I feel it is such a powerful weapon that to not have it is shortchanging yourself as a fighter.

p.s.

Just to qualify:

I have 26years martial arts experience. I have taught for over ten years, though I have chosen not to teach currently. I have taught in the US and in the Philippines. I have taught police, soldiers, bodyguards of wealthy men and politicians. When I taught my base fee was $100/hour. I have given seminars, written articles, and three books--one I plan on letting go public-the others have been for use by my students. I have been attacked with a machete, a spear, and every single weapon except a machine gun(thank goodness, or I might not be here to write about it). I have been in more fights than I care to mention nor ever feel a need to; both here and in the jungles of Northen Cagayan and Manila.

Based on my meek experience I teach the power, importance, and usefulness of high kicks. BUT ONLY WHEN USED PROPERLY AND PERFORMED WELL. If my students could not kick fast or quick enough it was a tool I advised them to use sparingly. If the situation calls for a quick kick to the head/neck, then I taught to do it.

Every technique is balanced by the situation. Advantage vs. disadvantage. From the straight punch to high kick to the clinch and take-down. You would not blindly throw a punch without timing it, would you? Nor would advise a high kick without the same criteria.

I simply belive that high kicks are too awesome a technique to blindly write them off because of seemingly overwhelming disadvantages, that when analyzed are only the disadvantages of poor execution.

You can believe what you like or what you are taught. I'm not going to try and convert anyone to my way of thinking. If anyone still believes high kicks are too dangerous, too risky, too much of a hassle, then fine. You are not my student and it, ultimately, is none of my concern. Let it remain that we disagree. I am merely sharing some of my experience and thought on the topic.

MA

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Martial_Artist, could you clarify for me please what "The Pure Art" is, or what it's based on?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If executed properly I don't find head kicks especially risky, it depends upon the fighter. I have a ridiculous amount of natural flexibility and fast legs.

The only fight I had during school finished with a head kick, but I would be stupid to think that it would work every time.

But I do agree with Martial_Artist and goshinman, it is too great a weapon not to have.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

Shorinryu,

I have written books on what the Pure Art is. But, I shall do my best to simplify its explanation. One way is that it relies upon the unchanging human form. You and I are not wholly undifferent in form. (barring physical defect or deformity). We both have two legs, two arms, a head, a torso, etc. If we both are physically capable of the same physics then all I am fighting is another human of the same form as I. Your style then becomes redundant. Because you can still only hit me with your body which is not unlike mine. What can you do? Punch me? Kick me? It's not as if you have four arms and six legs. The name applied to the technique doesn't change the fact that it is still a hand attached to an arm attached to a torso attached to a living, breathing, feeling human. There is only so many ways a body can move. Range of motion is determined by the construction of the human body. One may have greater flexibility because of conditioning, but arms do not bend completely backwards, nor do heads spin, &c. It is this that the Pure Art begins to take form, begins to self-realize. It is pure. So, it is the pure art.

So, this is a simple explanation of where the Pure Art begins. And in conjuction as well as on top of that begins the training, the application, and the practice.

I know that is short, but as I said before, I have written two books on it and it is something to be taught in person rather than explained through words.

I have always said that I do not believe the essence of the martial arts can ever really be written. It is something that must be lived.

MA

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Im curious as well.....and this isnt meant to knock you in any way Martial Artist, what style (or styles) do you base your "Pure Art" on. For example....part of the requirements that I faced for my 5th dan test was to create my own system, which I call "CQB Tactics", as in Close Quarter Battle.... I did this by combining what I thought were the most useful and effective techniques and principles of the several styles that Ive studied over the last 30 or so years....Goju Ryu, Jujiutsu, Aikijujitsu, Aikido, Judo, Kyokushin......what systems or parts of systems did you base your "Pure Art" on ?

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"