• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"I'm done, and as I'm posing in my nice stance the flamingo stands his ground as well. The flamingo and I are the unstoppable team, with my tornado kick and his confident pink plastic frame, we're ready for whatever comes our way!"

-Jujimufu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

we just had that happen in our school. We usually follow the rule of 'No sparring the week before tournament' but this time we didn't. A number of the students wanted to spar, so we let them. A match got a bit overzealous, and a kick was thrown that was WAY harder than it needed to be. The defender simply lifted his leg and blocked the kick. The attacker's leg snapped clean through. Now he's laid up for another couple of months, has a pin in his leg, and is in a good deal of pain.

Well, I guess they'll listen next time...NO HARD CONTACT!

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

OOOOOOUUUUUCH!

Is that for real? Naa c'mon its gotta be computer graphics right? Please.....or I'm gonna be having nightmares about that one.

As if I wasn't paranoid enough about my bruised and battered shins already. :bawling:

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

no...that's real. So is the steel rod in Charlie's leg after kicking too hard and getting blocked.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

That sucks about your students leg.

Don't you use any kind of shin protection?

most thai fighters break there shins at one time or another, and shin gaurds wont stop that sort of thing. just dont mess up is my advice on how not to get your shin snaped.

PS. send charlie my regaurds (man it must suck to be in bed all day)

Fist visible Strike invisible

I'm sure the Thais do suffer alot of serious shin injuries in competition.But theres no reason for it to happen in the gym/dojo.

When I was in Thailand we always used thick paded leather shin guards when doing sparring. And I was surprised at how light the contact was in sparring. I was told to tone it down when I started sparring pretty hard with 1 of my trainers.This is because they fight in the ring so regularly, that they cant afford to risk injury in the gym.

I have fairly weak shins(for a kickboxer) I cracked my shin bone in a tourney and it became a recuring problem.But since I brought back a bunch of those shin guards my shin injuries are alot less frequent now.

When we spar in the dojo we dont go 100% power. We hold back just enough to keep injuries to a minimum.We focus on power on the bag and the mitts, and go for speed and technique when sparring.Thats pretty much the norm in all full contact gyms here.

In the week or so before a fight we might spar without the shin pads just to get used to the feeling of bare shins, but we always take it real easy on the contact so as to avoid any injuries.

In the ring, shin injuries are almost unavoidable. But that break on the video was just NASTY! I've never seen anything like that in a fight.