karate in the family lineage

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandfather (mother's side) and my father got started in Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do at the same time, years before I was born. I think they both got up to 2nd or 3rd Dan. Then my aunt (mother's side) got up to 1st Dan in the same class. When I turned six, my father started teaching me. My daughter is only two years old, but she already knows how to kick, punch, pinch and choke. What's funny is, before I even started trying to teach her any thing, when we wrestled, she always got behind me and went for my neck. She'll be a fighter one day.

My brother - four years my junior - went to class with me for a long time. He got up to an upper-intermediate belt before he decided he'd rather go the way of the military/pilot. I also have a great uncle and uncle that studied some type of Martial Art. I only met them once and they mentioned that they had an Instructor living with them, teaching them for a while. I'm not sure if it goes back any further than that, that's the only family I know about.

Well my Moms dad was in special forces green beret. Were he studied the martial arts then his two sons, and my mom studied it; and one of my uncles recived silver medal for his fighting in the olympics. My dad taught himself most of what he knows and now he has finaly joined my class.

were he looks kind of funny all in white.

Pogo

My wife is a 3rd Dan under my instruction. My father is a 3rd Dan in the same school I started in(Chito-ryu). I have 5 cousins that are BB's in Hapkido. I have 1 cousin that is a WTF 2nd Dan. I trained my sister, 2 brother-in-laws, multiple cousins, and several of my nieces and nephews.

We take the martial arts in my family very serious.

I, myself, am a 5th Dan in Chito-ryu, 4th Dan in Okinawan Kobudo, and have trained in EPAK, Isshin-ryu, Hawaiian kenpo, and am currently preparing for my BB test in Traditional TKD. VERY serious.

My father got up to his green belt in Wado Kai karate, my mother trained with him for the start of that but I dont think she made it past yellow belt. I myself didnt start until many years after that, I am currently purple (4th kyu).

I hope to someday teach my kids (if I have any). Although I'm sure with my luck I'll end up with kids that hate karate, and would rather do ballet or hockey.

my father was a 1st kyu in judo before he joined the navy. his brother, my uncle, studied kung fu, don't know which style in particular. i started training at about 8 yrs. old. both my brothers followed after i first tested for rank.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

• 1 month later...

My dad wrestled in high school, I started Isshin-Ryu then my mom started. I think one of my uncles boxed. One of my cousins may have as well, but they never did a lot with it.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War