• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

attackers

karate kid 1

"i'd do a flying reverse side kick, jump on him nad crush his skull" - is easy to say..... i think everyone who trians needs to remember the chaotic and adrenaline filled nature that self defense situations entail..... you see people with years of training have it go completely out the window in a real situation, but then again you see people with years of training and experience who can remain completely calm and collected..... think the key difference there is expereince, difficult to say how you'd act ,or what you'd do.

Id like to say I'd do something, but depends on what / who / how many i was attacked by.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - I guess my earlier point is that when you try to "protect" your attacker, you are taking a HUGE risk. If it comes to the point that you need to get physical, my opinion is that you should usee 100% force to end the encounter as quickly as possible. Any damage they incur is a result of their actions to provoke.

Any damage you incur as a result of trying to "protect" them with "appropriate" force is a result of you taking such risks.

The real question is what you would do to avoid blows (including not being there in the first place) and not how much force you would use when it came to force. The second question should be an easy one for anyone who understands the true dangers that an uncontrolled encounter presents...

$.02 chaching!!

https://www.SyracuseJundokan.com

Authentic & Traditional Goju-ryu

WKF Competition Training

Jundokan Honbu: https://www.jundokan.jp

(While you're reading this, your next opponent is sweating in the dojo!)

I don't think an attacker deserves much of a break. But with the fact that there are video cameras just about everywhere, and you might be video taped defending yourself, defending your self with only the amount of force to stop the attack is probably the wisest course of action. In court we will be held to a higher standard than people that don’t train in the martial arts.

More Practice

comes before the fight if you find a safe way not to engage in violence. Don't worry about sparing an attacker, or multiple assailents until you are quite certain that you and yours are quite safe and that the threat no longer exists. People can "play possum" or tell you that " I give up!" This might just be a ruse to bring you in close enough to finish you off. Remember, they were trying to do you some serious dirt and if you allow it, perhaps they still can. Also, it is foolish to presume that you can control a stranger. How do you know who you are dealing with. They don't give a rats * that you studied karate and you shouldn't either. It will distract you. A safe opponent is dead or unconscious. The latter group have the annoying habit of waking up sooner or later. Do what needs to be done ( if you can ) then get out of there.

If you have to discuss matters with the judge later, be glad that you are still able to do so. This should not be a concern during unavoidable combat. The distraction could cost you your life.

Combat is not sparring. Compared to combat, sparring is not real. Never confuse the two.My best advise is never fight unless you "fear for your life" or those that you feel that you must protect. Once so engaged, anything goes. Your belt won't help you. It is a piece of material that you don't even have with you. The police aren't there so they won't save you. Perhaps they will arrive later with the paper work, crime sceen tape, and body bags. Don't count on good samaritans either. The season has been bad for them. Right at the moment of truth, the judge doesn't seem so real. Besides, he's safe somewhere else. Don't think that this can't happen to you if it is happening to you. Unless you want to occupy one of those body bags you've got to take care of business, by whatever means, until you are safe or dead. Finally, running isn't bad if you can get away with it.

There! That's my two cents. Don't spend it all in one place unless you can't help doing so.

It is better to avoid violence altogether.

Form is Void, Being is Nothingness

I tried to begin the above with " Mercy comes before the fight" , but, the word mercy was somehow left out.

Form is Void, Being is Nothingness

well we eventually have to use what we train to do.... not matter how hard we try and avoid it, not everyone will have to, but some will.

When I get attacked on the street I make it so the attacker will regret his decision for quite along time but not enough for permanent damage.(unless the attacker has a gun, knife,needle....ect).

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

i think it would be difficult to judge in that situation with all the adrenaline - exactly how much damge each blow, restraint whatever, would od.

• 4 weeks later...