• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just took up boxing a couple weeks ago (love it, btw), and I was just wondering how often everybody here trains in it-

my class only meets twice a week, and its currently not a system where I can go work out on a heavy bag, so any thoughts on how often I should train i.e. shadow boxing, footwork ect.

thx

*Gi-Yu-Jin-Rei-Makoto-Meiyo-Chugi*

"Life in every breath..."

"That is...Bushido."

"Hai."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why not buy your own heavy bag and train at home. Also I would see if maybe you can find a sparring/training partner to work out with on your non gym days. I found this in the past to be a great supplement to your training at the gym.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Heres a great site with some great tips. Lots of info so have a good read through, this is supposably one of the best/free boxing sites out there.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym.html

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. When you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; when you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; when you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow- or it can crash. Be water my friend. ~Bruce Lee

Heres a great site with some great tips. Lots of info so have a good read through, this is supposably one of the best/free boxing sites out there.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym.html

Good site . lots of info . If you are so inclined his books have tons of great trainning tips and workouts . If you only go twice a week than suplimenting with one of this guys workouts would be a step in the right direction . Be forewarned , this guy is a maniac !!! Expect to have a love/hate relationship with any workout this guy creates . Not to mention several minutes laying on the floor "resting" :o :lol: :o :lol: .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

if you are serious about boxing, you should do SOMETHING daily. If you are only in class two days per week, then you should definitely shadowbox and go over your footwork at home on your own 4-5 days per week. you can also use that time to do some extra conditioning. A heavy bag is definitely preferable. If you are in a place where you can't hang a bag, then buy a freestanding bag that holds water in the base. It's better than nothing.

• 1 month later...

i dont train for boxing but i do train for karate and i prefer to work on my arm muscles and chest i personally would do 20 press ups a day and brake them in to two sets of 10 ect. and i reccommend skipping for speed and foot work i use shadow karate which is like kata hope this was useful

FEAR is only a four letter word

RORY

no offense, but training your chest and arms really doesn't help your martial skill much... I lift weights as well - and I do curls and bench presses - but when talking about functional, MA specific strength, you need full body compound exercises.

Pushups build endurance in your muscles, not strength.

On a side note, I just realize that 3hitKO is from kansas... that is like the amateur boxing capital of the world. He should be able to get some awesome training there.