• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can a boxer be a good fighter? I was just wondering cuz muscle memory and long hours of traning would dictate that in a conflict a boxers hands wouild come up. leaving the groin and knees in a vuneralbe state

Don't block with your face.

--Soo Bahk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

boxers can be very good fighters, as they train hard and train full contact. if you get the chance to go in the ring against a boxer, then take it, you will learn a lot.

and you are right there are several weaknesses of boxing, the main one being, there are no techniques allowed belw the belt, so boxers will have no defence against kickers

but i would definately recomend doing some boxing, as long as you remeber how to kick.... :)

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

Can a boxer be a good fighter? Of course, I would put my money on a boxer in a street fight over almost any other single style (Obviously, hybrid styles have numerous advantages over any one style.) Why-

1. Boxers train a few techniques and combinations to perfection, instead of having a disorganized mess of techniques.

2. Boxers have great conditioning, which is more important than many instructors think.

3. Boxers train full contact, so they are used to hitting and being hit full force. They also have very good defensive skills (bob and weave).

To modify boxing for street fighting (NO sport-only fighting styles are good for the street), all a boxer has to do is get used to protecting off-limits targets, and learn to use a few techniques, such as elbows, that build on the upper body emphasis of boxing. Factor in mindset, and you have about as good of fighter as you will ever get.

One thing to remember: Having lots of techniques does not insure victory. It is how they are trained that matters.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

if you get the chance to go in the ring against a boxer, then take it, you will learn a lot.

Boxers have my respect as good street fighters. I have a lot of friends who are good boxers and have done well in street fights.

What works works

Boxers training is usually to so much a higher degree than other MAists that that alone would give them an advantage - and as UseoForce mentions - theyre experience and used to taking hits.... so yes i would say they could make excellent fighters.

Can a boxer be a good fighter? I was just wondering cuz muscle memory and long hours of traning would dictate that in a conflict a boxers hands wouild come up. leaving the groin and knees in a vuneralbe state

A lot of people tend to say that. A well trained boxer is an excellent fighter. his hands come up to protect his face and body, but he is still mobile. Also, groin shots are definite fight enders - I've been kicked there in a fight and kept going. I didn't feel it until the adrenaline rush was gone. The mobility and bent legs will help protect his knees. In addition, the avg boxer trains much more then the avg ma - and likely spar on a harder level - which makes them even better prepared.

Muay thai, Wrestling, Boxing, BJJ are the best combonation I think.

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

• 4 weeks later...

Defitnaly except all my reasons have already been takin lol, well actually i wanna say i find the biggest weakness that tends to come up time and time again with most boxers i have met is their cokyness, it sometimes helps but alot of times they get in trouble, however a real expert boxer iam sure knows his strentghs and weaknesses.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn