• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Women and karate?

Eiichi

I am 'lucky' in that I have the experience of surviving an armed assault before ever taking up a martial art. I have to look at that question in reverse...my life experience's inform my art. As for the applied aspects, since I train with intent, I hope that the opportunity to use that intent never presents itself.

Leaves fall.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whether I could defend myself depends on a few different things:

1. The intentions of the male attacker (rape, murder, kidnapping, etc

2. The training of the attacker

3. Whether he knows I've had training in any martial arts

4. My condition at the time (if I've had alcohol, if I've been slipped drugs, if I'm sleeping, etc)

5. How I'm attacked (is there a gun or knife involved? am I being hit with fists?)

6. If I have any warning or if I could have reasonably expected an attack, given the circumstances (I'm often watching my surroundings, where people are around me, and what's going on)

7. Possibly, the size of the opponent (depending on how I'm being attacked)

8. The condition of my attacker (is he on drugs that make him feel no pain? drunk?)

9. Your definition of defending yourself

Let me throw out a scenario.

1. You don't know his intentions. All you know is he's bent on harming you.

2. Again, you don't know his training, but he's bigger and much stronger than you.

3. No, he doesn't know you have training in the martial arts, but he's not taking it easy on you.

4. You're sober and you've just left a concert or a movie.

5. No weapons, but he does throw a barrage of punches at you, and manages to grab you and wrestles you to the floor. His whole goal is to knock you unconscious.

6. You notice him following you after a block, and you confront him. Thats when you initiates the attack.

7. Your male attacker is over 6' and over 200lbs

8. Lets say he's sober, but he's obviously insane.

9. My definition of defending oneself is to be able to stop an attack long enough to get away.

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

Whether I could defend myself depends on a few different things:

1. The intentions of the male attacker (rape, murder, kidnapping, etc

2. The training of the attacker

3. Whether he knows I've had training in any martial arts

4. My condition at the time (if I've had alcohol, if I've been slipped drugs, if I'm sleeping, etc)

5. How I'm attacked (is there a gun or knife involved? am I being hit with fists?)

6. If I have any warning or if I could have reasonably expected an attack, given the circumstances (I'm often watching my surroundings, where people are around me, and what's going on)

7. Possibly, the size of the opponent (depending on how I'm being attacked)

8. The condition of my attacker (is he on drugs that make him feel no pain? drunk?)

9. Your definition of defending yourself

Let me throw out a scenario.

1. You don't know his intentions. All you know is he's bent on harming you.

2. Again, you don't know his training, but he's bigger and much stronger than you.

3. No, he doesn't know you have training in the martial arts, but he's not taking it easy on you.

4. You're sober and you've just left a concert or a movie.

5. No weapons, but he does throw a barrage of punches at you, and manages to grab you and wrestles you to the floor. His whole goal is to knock you unconscious.

6. You notice him following you after a block, and you confront him. Thats when you initiates the attack.

7. Your male attacker is over 6' and over 200lbs

8. Lets say he's sober, but he's obviously insane.

9. My definition of defending oneself is to be able to stop an attack long enough to get away.

I'd be unlikely to "confront" such a person directly until engaged, and I would walk with a purpose and not like a scared little mouse (you're less likely to be attacked if you don't carry yourself like an easy target). I believe strongly in avoiding dangerous situations, in spite of any training you have. It is also unlikely I'd be alone, but of course it happens from time-to-time. Being much smaller than my attacker, I would want to stay on my own feet as long as possible, and hopefully discourage the attack at that stage rather than wrestling to the floor.

I have taken karate, kickboxing, two jujitsu and judo, plus helped teach self defense classes, so I would hope I could send the attacker to the ground himself, while staying on my feet. Whether that would involve taking out his knee or throwing him depends on the opportunity I'm given. I would prefer to stay out of his grasp. Generally, when I'm given an opportunity to defend myself in class without a plan I do a number of things..I keep going and going, and don't give up. I've used some techniques in actual self defense, and found when I actually started to physically defend myself the attack stopped.

Since you've given the scenario that my initial efforts failed and I'm on the ground with someone who wants me unconscious, I'd have to act quickly, as he could easily achieve that by banging my head against the pavement or even striking me hard. I would not take it easy on him as I'd be in fear of my life and depending on what parts of my body are able to move I may use my knees, elbows, teeth, fingers, etc. I would have a very narrow window of opportunity and would maximize it, hopefully crippling him to the point he can't continue.

Never give up....

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse