• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Women and karate?

Eiichi

As a women, do you feel confindent enough to defend yourself against a male attacker?

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think what we have going for us is the element of surprise. I wouldn't try to overpower an attacker. I think my training would prepare me to keep my wits, get one good shot in, and RUN.

I think what we have going for us is the element of surprise. I wouldn't try to overpower an attacker. I think my training would prepare me to keep my wits, get one good shot in, and RUN.

some would say that regardless of your sex of age, and regardless of the attackers' abillity, this is exactly what karate is supposed to prepare you for, and nothing more. In fact, Sensei tries to impress on us that in a real life situation, if you have to start fighting, then you have already failed, even if you kick the snot out of your assailant. Maybe not every style thinks this way. In Shotokan, this is the difference Funakoshi made betweem Karate-Do (way of life) and Karate-Jutsu (fighting system).

never heard of World Oyama Karate, I assume it's got its name from Mas Oyama, the founder of Kyokushin? If so, read up on on his life and see how devastated he was after killing a thug with a single blow.

never heard of World Oyama Karate, I assume it's got its name from Mas Oyama, the founder of Kyokushin? If so, read up on on his life and see how devastated he was after killing a thug with a single blow.

World Oyama karate was founded by Oyama Shigeru. Shigeru Oyama was Mas Oyama's student for 30+ years.

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

As a women, do you feel confindent enough to defend yourself against a male attacker?

Onestly, I dont know if i would be enough prepared in that situation...but since they are years that i throw pounches and kicks...at least I'll try to defend myself against every kind of potential dangers...

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

I always answer that type of question with caution, as I've been trained never to underestimate my opponent, and that awareness of your situation and surroundings, how you carry yourself, and avoiding dangerous situations are large factors in self defence.

Whether I could defend myself depends on a few different things:

1. The intentions of the male attacker (rape, murder, kidnapping, etc

2. The training of the attacker

3. Whether he knows I've had training in any martial arts

4. My condition at the time (if I've had alcohol, if I've been slipped drugs, if I'm sleeping, etc)

5. How I'm attacked (is there a gun or knife involved? am I being hit with fists?)

6. If I have any warning or if I could have reasonably expected an attack, given the circumstances (I'm often watching my surroundings, where people are around me, and what's going on)

7. Possibly, the size of the opponent (depending on how I'm being attacked)

8. The condition of my attacker (is he on drugs that make him feel no pain? drunk?)

9. Your definition of defending yourself

In general, I feel confident enough that should I be attacked by anyone, male or female, I'd do something if attacked. I'd continue defending myself, to the best of my ability until I could either get away or they stop attacking me, or both. I don't go looking for fights, but will fight back to stop people from touching me when I don't want them to, or from any attempts to harm me.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I dont think i can defend too well from a male, i do think that i can void and get away fine and in one peice. if it gets physical I'd do my best to get away with or with out damage. It's hard to say because the situation has not been risen since starting Karate. As for attacking him, there may not be very much damage therefor no piont, I'd just like to get away.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"