• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A real Mc Dojo.

Well quite alot of kids from school go to this ju jitsu club near were i live and for some reason they all have insanly high belt ranks for their ages, it goes like this:

2 15 year olds in my year are 3rd dan black belts and another 15 year old is a 4th dan. There is a 13 year old who is a 6th dan and a 10 year old who is a 2nd dan. They also claim that their sensei is a 12th dan and he's only 40!

I may be wrong but.. Mc Dojo or what?

- Hogosha

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That doesn’t necessarily qualify the school as a McDojo. Maybe all of the students learn really fast. Maybe since the Instructor is a 12th Dan, they have a lot of belts; perhaps their 4th Dan Black Belt is just an intermediate rank. Don’t judge the school and its curriculum just based on the rank of the students.

I have to agree though that this does sound a little fishy. A 13 year old 6th Dan…

yeah i would immediately say that mostly that 13 yr old 6th dan is a bit suspicious far above the rest.... just ask them how longit takes between belts.

Maybe they are all just named Dan..... :P

:D lol thats a diferent way of looking at it.....

i think you need to talk to them a bit more and find out about their ranking system, ie everyone may start at 1st dan and then move up....

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

That doesn’t necessarily qualify the school as a McDojo. Maybe all of the students learn really fast. Maybe since the Instructor is a 12th Dan, they have a lot of belts; perhaps their 4th Dan Black Belt is just an intermediate rank. Don’t judge the school and its curriculum just based on the rank of the students.

I have to agree though that this does sound a little fishy. A 13 year old 6th Dan…

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. There is no way that a 13 year old could reach 6th Dan level in any art. Given that it should take at least 25 years (more likely 30) to reach 6th Dan level, the only way a 13 year old could reach 6th Dan is if the rest of the earth has been traveling at relativistic velocities while he has been standing still and training, thus giving him the 30 years necessary to reach 6th Dan while the rest of us only experienced 13. As this is highly improbable, I can say with a high degree of confidence that there is no way you could have a legitimate 13 year old 6th degree.

Yes - but then again their instructor may as mentioned start grading at first Dan - it maybe an obscure language where Dan actually means grade... so he really would be blue belt.... lol

No i agree it seems really suspicious..... just handing out 6th dans gives the wrong impression

i asked my friend today, he doesn't start with dans, their belt system is:

red

white

yellow

yellow - green

green

purple

blue

blue - white

blue - white 2

brown

brown - white

brown - white 2

black - 1st dan - 12th dan but to gain a dan you need 10 tabs on your belt.

- Hogosha

i asked my friend today, he doesn't start with dans, their belt system is:

red

white

yellow

yellow - green

green

purple

blue

blue - white

blue - white 2

brown

brown - white

brown - white 2

black - 1st dan - 12th dan but to gain a dan you need 10 tabs on your belt.

So, say it takes 4 months per belt, and 2 months per tab, that is 52 months to get to 1st dan, and then another 100 months for 6th dan. That is 12 years, 8 months. If he is 13, he started when he was 4 months old.

Even if you drop it to 2 months per belt, and 1 month per tab, that is 76 months or 6 years 4 months.

So two years to get to 1st dan, and a dan ranking at an average of less than a year per. It's either a total mcdojo system, or they use some weird variation that I haven't heard of for dan rankings.

What art is it? (Style that is, I know you said jiu jitsu, but which variant?)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player