• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

K2 for you?

Meguro

Many of you might be familiar with K1. How many of you are aware that there is K3 and K2 as well? I recently caught a K-2/K-3 tourney on tv. The numbers correspond to the amount of protective gear being worn by the competitors: K3, big gloves (16 0z.?), shinpads, head gear, dogi, mouth guard & cup; K2, gloves, shin pads, dogi, mouth guard and cup.

For the most part, I was underwhelmed by the level of technique, which seemed to be lacking. Virtually all the winners of the different weight categories were white belts. They lacked the rudiments of blocking and footwork, and for the most part did not kick. What the winners had in common was a non-stop punching attack, and aggression.

In contrast, the losers were often high ranking karateka, although not always. They seemed to have better technique, from an esthetic perspective. They just could not win.

The matches did not look like Muay Thai or K-1. They looked like brawls. While the experienced karateka tried to stick and move, the lower ranks advanced on them with arms pinwheeling, ugly but effective.

I suppose a professional fighter could dismantle these amateurs. For the average Joe Shodan-Godan, I wonder. . .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt