• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

larger opponents

wingedsoldier

Another good tactic which I learned was to fake a move and make them attack you, then when they are open strike back. It is probably best to do this once you know the move that they favour. then you can work out when they let their guard down to attack and you can work out which side they are open on. There will always be an opening.

It is also good to be flexible if you are small, especially in the hamstrings. This way you can extend your kicks. One of my favourites was a mawashi geri to the head. I am quite flexible and most opponents did not expect me to kick that high, as am small, thus it was an extra shock to them.

My best advice to you really is to use what you are comfortable with in the end. As if you keep trying new tactics all the time you will get confused. Try different things over the years but eventually you will develop different modes of attack for different purposes and different opponents - the ones you feel comfortable with.

:idea:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've only been sparring for a short time. about 6 months i think. i'll be closing my first year in kenpo this week. 2 more years and i'm a black belt. but i really appreciate all the help. i want to see what more experiences people have to say. i think it's important to learn from as many people as possible.

For me fighting larger people is always fun. Ive grown alot larger now, however when I was a little kid I still always won the fights because its easy if your agressive enough(thats if they have no training). I find a good strategy is to ground and pound, dont let it turn into a wrestling match and it doesnt matter really what poistion your in, just grap and punch and knee stuff like that. If there on top,grap them closer and punch harder than they do. If worse comes to worse I focus all my energy and strength and one part of there body, say there arm. Grab it and completly bend it around, most likely there one arm isnt stronger than your entire body.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn