• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

larger opponents

wingedsoldier

does anyone have good strategies against larger, taller opponents in sparring/actual combat? i'm fast, but i have trouble breaking through their long reach.
hit them low because there arms are higher up so it will be harder to block for them 8)

A.kelly

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually like sparing the big guys. I got 18 feet of ring to run them around. And boy do I use every inch. Your typical big guy will wear out before you do. This is how we were taught and how I beleive. The head is the only thing you worrie about, get that confused and you'll have an easy match and to this day ouur competition teams fight over the big guys, and the big guys laugh and then get thrown around and lose :).

JUst make them get tired and dizzy maybe and you're set.

:)

Needing to focus...

What can a longer limbed fighter do if a shorter fighter gets into the shorter fighter's optimal range (very close range)? Many street fights seem to start from verly close quarters.

In close range you just addapt - a long right hook is now a short right hit with the elbow ( its the same "punch" , the same movement, just that in one case u contract and in one u expand the lower arm section ).

Thats all a street version afcourse ( elbows etc. )

But its for the best to keep him at a distance ( your advantage is there ) but when it does get close range DO NOT push him away, let him think that he has an edge ( that is afcourse if u know atleast a few things about close range fights ) and then strike when he least expects it. :brow:

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Blab of Buyseech - My blog for Martial Arts and Marketing

gyaku zuki - quick and sharp straight after they have just made an attack or mawashi geri (to the waist) - swap your stance quickly, just before you attack.

I am five foot four and have always had to think of tactics for tall people. these two work the best for me. I knew a very good female black belt, who was an inch smaller than me. She was very fast and sharp. She used gyaku zuki all the time, very effectively.

Good luck :idea:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

From a strict sparring standpoint I would suggest gedan mawashi geri to the inside of you opponents legs. The inner thigh area is real sensitive, and continuous kicks there will cause bruising in no time. I wouldn't recommend chudan mawashi geri for a couple of reasons. It doesn't do much damage if someones elbows are protecting their sides, and your just asking to be swept if they manage to grab hold of that leg. Stick to basic techniques.

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

wingedsoldier - gyaku zuki is a reverse punch. I would do chudan gyaku zuki. aim for the side where there arm is higher. Move to the side and punch. As for what Eiichi said about mawashi geri, it depends why you want to attack someone. If you are points sparring, this is a good quick way of getting someone.

Face them in a stance as if you are going to attack them where they are ready to defend (where their elbow is lower) then switch stance quickly and attack where they are open. Make sure you pull back straight away though, don't step into the attack.

This is my opinion and this has worked for me and I have seen others, who are vertically challenged, work with this.

:bigwink:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

too bad we're not allowed to go for the legs. my teacher is not willing to take the heat if we accidently busted someone's knee-cap in sparring. but mawashi geri is great for countering when they try to thrust forward at me or try and get in a flying jab punch. but all this is good to know. i'm only 15 and a little behind with the growth spurt so it's been slightly troublesome. i don't expect to make it past 5'8. anyway, i tried and applied all this to sparring last friday and it helped, especially against my sensei's son. but it was hard since his arms and legs were pretty well tucked in providing a good guard.