wingedsoldier

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically, larger opponents telegraph more. Because of more mass, you should be more aware of weight shift. Whether weight is on the front or rear leg limits which techniques I can perform. The only way to stay balanced 100% of the time is to stand there.

If someone is baiting you, then you need to quit taking the bait. Smaller fighters must learn to become good at baiting their opponents, and they must make sure that they are never baited themselves.

Big guys are usually very linear. Because of mass, momentum builds up. Cutting angles will help you immensely because of a longer physical reaction requirement. I can see you moving to the side, but I must use more force to create a change of direction.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

If you're not already doing so, work to close your opponent (i.e. tie him up with his own limbs).

Once your opponent's initial attack is on its way to you (say, for instance, a lead hand jab) use nagashe uke to push his arm across his body. It will destroys his angle of attack as you press the arm and slide past him to end up roughly next to his back, and also present him with very little oppotunity to counter whatever you deliver in the way of your own attack.

And once you are inside the reach of an opponent with longer limbs, the advantage is largely yours...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

you know what, that sucks. i am long limbed and am training in a close range style. what would be a street effective style for long limbed people? Most of the street effective styles seem to be created for smaller or stockier people such as wing chun and grappling styles. Typically long limbed people tend to be thought of to excel at less practical arts such as TKD and other arts that involve lots of kicking.

those who are taller ( i envy you ) should work on keeping the correct distance and not letting the short opponant get close enough to you

use the side kick to keep them away, and when you see them trying to move in, counter the attacks with a jab to the head (over their guard)

you have the advantage because they have to get past your hands and feet first, before attacking you wheras you can pick the off from range

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

PBI is right about the traps. If your sparring rules allow traps (ours do), then the trap can be very effective. Jamming the front arm and moving slightly behind allows your opponent very few options. Either he has to withdraw or kick you.

In real life, you could do many, many more things - throws, joint locks, etc. Our sparring rules limit the possibilities.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

so long arms prevent you from being an effective close range fighter?

I wouldn't necessarily go to that extreme, it's just that what's "close range" for you will be different for someone whose limbs are shorter. You both have advantages: Yours is when you can keep your opponent outside of their effective range (which can still be "close range" for you), and theirs when they can get inside your perimeter, which effectively cuts your strikes and kicks short.

Honestly, I'd rather have the reach (and I don't; I'm plain old average height with corresponding wingspan), I'm just describing ways to counter an opponents greater overall length.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Just yesterday i sparred with someone who was like 160cm (thats hmm 5" 5-6 or sth dont know exactly ) and I myself am 6"6 ( 199 cm ). We deliberately spared together to see how it would go. The key thing ( as mentioned before ) is to get close range otherwise there is not much you can do. When you do get to close range youre work is far from over cause in most cases such a height difference also brings with it a weight difference ( with us it was about 30 kg ( 70 pounds ) ). He needed to "lower" me so he could perform various grapling technoquies, kicks and punches ( he could hardly hit me in the head when both standing up ).

Our sensei told him that the genitalss are the best if not the only way to go ( when he showed him how ... i was in pain :bawling: ) but nothing serious :D

It was one of the best trainings yet I think for the both of us.

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Blab of Buyseech - My blog for Martial Arts and Marketing