• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Requirements for high dan grades?

Highler

Always wondered what a 3rd dan does for 4th dan, 4th dan for 5th dan etc. Is it just the usual kata, sparring etc or do higher grades get their dans for services to the art or something like that? any other requirements?

Anyone know?

'The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yes, there are many requirements

one being dedication and contribution to the arts

others may include but are not limited to katas, sparring, breaking and such

breaking is a big thing in my style

one of the things we must do for a very low dan rank is to take a large bucket, place an apple at the bottom, fill the bucket with sand, and spear hand through the sand and pull the apple out with one swift technique.

but yes there are lots of various criteria depending on styles and instructors...

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

In our dojo, time and continued training are key. Our tests are by Sensei's invitation only, so really the day you are promoted is the first day of your next test. Increased proficiency in the kata, learning the few kata that we reserve for yudansha, etc. are important as well, but that comes with increased time in training.

Jason B.

Hendersonville, NC

"I'm not really eccentric... I'm not eccentric unless that means 'crazy', which I am, probably." - Kyoshi Doug Perry

Depends on your style, really.

In AK, it's pretty much all political past Long Form 6. My instructor always says, "Black is black," and I much agree with him. A master will demonstrate that he/she/it is a master by his/her/its proficiency, not mass amounts of red on a belt.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker