• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defense against School Scuffles

In karate, Kumite matches are controlled, stopped every time a point is scored, and stopped if an opponent gives up.

At school, kids shove each other, and if a real fight happens, it is not controlled (duh) and often, multiple people gang up on one person.

I am too worried about getting suspended to get in a fight, but how are you supposed to defend against pushing? I often used perry blocks but many times, there are multiple people pushing me in the middle. I don't hang out with these bullies, but sometimes, they follow me.

What's your suggestions to defend against this?

Step aside and put your foot out!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All it takes is to stand up once, and everyone will leave you alone. I was the small kid, wresteled in the 98 pound class as a sophomore and only weighed 85 pounds, and I never had any martial arts training. I moved to a new town and walked through the football locker room my first week of school. I was picked on right away. In no time at all I wrestled the guy, who was a lot bigger than me, down to an unfavorable postion for him. Imagine his embarrassment in front of all of his peers. I had my respect and never had to do it in that school again. I have found that the bigs guys act tough, probably haven't fought because everyone is scared and runs away. Doesn't matter if someone gets the best of you, just stand up for yourself. If you don't you will be getting picked on everyday.

All it takes is to stand up once, and everyone will leave you alone. I was the small kid, wresteled in the 98 pound class as a sophomore and only weighed 85 pounds, and I never had any martial arts training. I moved to a new town and walked through the football locker room my first week of school. I was picked on right away. In no time at all I wrestled the guy, who was a lot bigger than me, down to an unfavorable postion for him. Imagine his embarrassment in front of all of his peers. I had my respect and never had to do it in that school again. I have found that the bigs guys act tough, probably haven't fought because everyone is scared and runs away. Doesn't matter if someone gets the best of you, just stand up for yourself. If you don't you will be getting picked on everyday.

The problem is that this kid is getting picked on and pushed around by MULTIPLE bullies... if you actually hit them (when there in a group) they will most likely go tag team on you.

Bullies care about their image. So call one out, imply that he's afraid to take you on without backup, and throw down. Yeah, you'll probably get beat on some. Yeah, you'll get in trouble. ONCE. One fight and your problems are going to be gone.

make them loose interest, dont give them any satisfaction, they'll probably leave you alone eventually, the storm will pass trust me.
That's the sort of thing people tell kids so they can feel morally superior. It *never* works. The only thing I have seen that works is to simply make clear that you will NOT be a victim, and the way you do that is by throwing down the gauntlet and dealing with your problem directly, with your own hands and feet as the people harassing you would understand.

Some might think it ironic, but in many ways, this is the most adult way to deal with it. Take responsibility for your own actions, roll up your sleeves and do what needs to be done instead of hoping someone else will solve it for you or that it'll just go away. Those are the sort of things kids do. If an adult is cold, they don't complain about it being cold hoping someone will fix it, or shiver whining about the cold waiting to see if it fixes itself. They acquire a blanket or a heater or they go somewhere warmer, and they don't let the fact that there might be some cost, difficulty, or other such thing to getting the coat stop them cold without good reason.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 3 weeks later...

There sre curtain kinds of bullies that I had to encounter in my life. Here are some that will help you out in the future :)

Groupy bullies- with these kind of bullies there is only one person who really has a problem with you, all the others just walk around with him acting as his little protection and audeince. If they walk up to you and start calling you names just talk to one of them and try to beat there leader in the battle of the brains :D once hese shut up the rest dont really know what to say. Think of it this way these kinb of groupy bullies work like one big body shut down the brain and the body is useless.

:karate:

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

The act of standing up to them is a start.

What you do from there, well if you can't avoid a fight, then it might just happen.

The more you empower yourself, the more you exhibit confidence and strength unto others.

The less empowered you feel, the more you want to compensate by doing things outwardly or physically.

The above is how a bully is born.

Take care!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Step 1: Avoid anyone who has been seen pushing and shoving.

Step 2: If you can’t avoid the person, prevent them from getting close enough to you to reach you.

Step 3: If you can’t prevent them from getting close to you, try to dissuade them from pushing and/or shoving.

Step 4: If push comes to shove (some pun intended), control the situation.

Step 5: After you have control, end the confrontation as soon as possible.

Allow me to elaborate on steps 3-5 (I think the first two are self-explanatory). You can use many different methods for dissuasion, such as reasoning, ignoring, humor, intimidation and distraction. By “control” the situation, I mean stop the threat. If he extends his arms to push react in such a way to stop him from harming you. There have been several suggestions already posted for this. Once you reach step 4, step 5 follows immediately. Once you have controlled the threat of him pushing, end the confrontation; that means don’t keep kicking or hitting him after he’s stopped.

Another method I do is simpaly display confidance in yourself :) walk like you have somewhere to go and just look busy, and try to look happy as much as possible :D And if they try too get you on a emotional level just smile and say, "O.K, have a nice day :D " that can get people on many levels :) :karate: :karate:

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands