• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai and opening the mouth

DokterVet

I kiai with my mouth open slightly. I agree that the kiai is used with a finishing technique. But what about to startle your opponent? Try it sometime. You might be suprised about the suprise you create. On another forum, we were discussing the sound you make when kiaiing. Try it, and pay attention. You might find yourself either changing your kiai or chuckling at the way you do it, or smiling when you realize how it has changed over time. Just some thoughts.

Carl

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

But what about to startle your opponent? Try it sometime. You might be suprised about the suprise you create.

In a sparring situation it might work. But in self defence if the person is set on taking your out i doubt a shout is going to scare them away.

But what about to startle your opponent? Try it sometime. You might be suprised about the suprise you create.

In a sparring situation it might work. But in self defence if the person is set on taking your out i doubt a shout is going to scare them away.

Not to scare them off, but to startle them. This can buy you vital time to get another technique in.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Not to scare them off, but to startle them. This can buy you vital time to get another technique in.

Once again, if someone is keen to attack you they would hardly be startled by a kiai, if anything they would probably be expecting you to scream or cryout in some way.

Once again, if someone is keen to attack you they would hardly be startled by a kiai, if anything they would probably be expecting you to scream or cryout in some way.

I disagree. Most people have already run a scenario in their head when they start a fight. In this scenario they have already won the fight! (Who'd start a fight with the intention of losing?) They know what they are going to say/do, they anticiapte you being the victim. If you suddenly throw them off track it can be extremely disorientating for them And there is a huge difference between a kiai on the end of a technique and a scream as they attack you. Of course that is the other point, is that a kiai is not something you would consider doing on its own.

Also hit some pads with and without kiai. The strike with a kiai will be much more effective!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Ki is the root of all martial arts ,KI is the spirit and energy when combined with breath AI at the moment of impact makes kiai !

the mouth should not be open too wide ,the starting point for it is the stomack.this should be taught by a experienced instructer ,it is very important part of training in karate and not something that could be appreciated at low grade ,it takes years to understand and master .

never give up !

In this scenario they have already won the fight! (Who'd start a fight with the intention of losing?) They know what they are going to say/do, they anticiapte you being the victim.

This is true. Its also true that someone who had planned out an attack would be so intent on reaching whatever goal they wanted to achieve by this act of violence, that they would not be put of by a kiai.

And there is a huge difference between a kiai on the end of a technique and a scream as they attack you. Of course that is the other point, is that a kiai is not something you would consider doing on its own.

If were are talking about using the kiai WITH another technique, thats a different story. If someone punched you in the face and did a kiai with it im pretty sure you would be more worried about the punch than you would the kiai. In saying that i do agree with your point that kiai should not be performed alone.

Also hit some pads with and without kiai. The strike with a kiai will be much more effective!

Tried it, not much difference. If your hitting with correct breathing you will be able to hit harder and for longer than you would be able to by kiaiing on each technique.