• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai and opening the mouth

DokterVet

I realize there is another thread on the first page about kiai, but this is a specific and different question.

Do you open your mouth (ie sepparate your jaws) when you kiai?

If yes, do you believe that this leaves you more succeptable to knockout and/or concussion if struck in the chin? Are the benefits of kiai worth the risk?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the idea of the kiai is to add spirit to the block or strike and therefore you should of blocked the strike to your jaw and not be striking at the same time as your opponent strikes you so no it does not leave you more succeptable to knockout. Also it would take a very confident person to attack a karateka coming towards them with loud kiai.

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

In kihon and kata yes.

I usually dont kiai at all when sparring(unless im performing a finishing technique). I certainly wouldnt kiai in a self defence situation.

So there is a difference between what you do in basic training and the fighting application.

you can kiai without opening your mouth, you can do a proper kiai to tense the stomach muscles and give yourself that extra edge with out letting your opponent hear you, it may sound like a grunt instead of a loud shout.

but I agree with cross, during kata, but during sparring, i don't usually bother....honestly, I get annoyed when I am at a tournament and I see a student doing Kiais during a match.....since they usually only do it to get a judges' attention and thus make it slightly unfair by giving theirselves an edge in a fight.....yet most judges(hopefully) can see past this subtle technique....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

In some kumite competitions you can only score if you kiai on the technique; this way it shows that the technique was intended and not a lucky flailing of the arms/legs.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I think the idea of the kiai is to add spirit to the block or strike and therefore you should of blocked the strike to your jaw and not be striking at the same time as your opponent strikes you so no it does not leave you more succeptable to knockout. Also it would take a very confident person to attack a karateka coming towards them with loud kiai.

regards makiwaraman

You don't think it's at all conceivable that an opponent would find an opening while you intend to hit him? Shouldn't you train for the worst-case?

In kihon and kata yes.

I usually dont kiai at all when sparring(unless im performing a finishing technique). I certainly wouldnt kiai in a self defence situation.

Why do something in kihon and kata that has no actual use?

So there is a difference between what you do in basic training and the fighting application.

Why?

EDIT: FIXED QUOTE

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

You don't think it's at all conceivable that an opponent would find an opening while you intend to hit him? Shouldn't you train for the worst-case?

I agree but the kiai should be on impact so your jaw would not be open until you hit them, So the opening would not show until impact, by then it should be to late. But its all about timing.

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

cross wrote:

Quote:

In kihon and kata yes.

Why do something in kihon and kata that has no actual use?

cross wrote:

Why?

Kiai does have an actual use, its a very basic form of communication. This is often forgotten during martial arts training.

In a self defence situation its crucial to communicate, but im not saying communication is the main objective of practicing kiai.

The amount of focus/concentration/strength etc you learn to generate when performing a kiai can be directly applied to a fighting situation and if you look at various bunkai techniques you will find that the kiai can represent a finishing techniques (i.e a technique that finishes off the opponent once you have already taken him out).

So going back to your original question, there would be basically no risk at all of being knocked out or getting a broken jaw if you perform a kiai at the correct time (along with a finishing technique).

I guess the application of most of the things we do in karate are not always easily seen or have a clean cut explanation, but practicing them will benifit you.