A 4th degree in how many arts?!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone should do an investigation into belt fraud. Get someone who has no training, except what they can mimmick from movies, to go around to different schools and see how many ranks they can obtain. Then we could publish the results as to which schools are more likely to hand out certificates and which require tests/training.

yeah but there are websites that do that sort of thing already..... not going to mention names because my post got removed last time.

But reviewing the belt process and mcdojoness of a school already happens quite a bit.. Not saying its a bad idea - just who's review of a school do you trust?

In the association I belong to there is a minimum age that each rank must meet. A 25YO 4th Dan is not outside of that scope, but it would be a rare thing.

It's not outside the realm of possibility in our art either, but to also have 2nd and 3rd degrees in at least two other arts by 25? That's the part that I'm having a hard time swallowing.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Mr. Mike said:

You can be a Junior Black Belt, but that isn't quite the same, now is it?

Ha! Tell me about it...*rolls eyes*...I don't recommend it, peoples. As according to the timeline set out by Mr. Mike, at 3 years per bb, and 5 years to get first dan...I would be a third dan by now. But no...I'm a first.

Not that I think I deserve a third dan. I know that I was not at the level of maturity an adult has when I began my training, and that my 11 years have been different that an adult's 11 years.

Anyway...sorry about the griping...

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

In the association I belong to there is a minimum age that each rank must meet. A 25YO 4th Dan is not outside of that scope, but it would be a rare thing.

It's not outside the realm of possibility in our art either, but to also have 2nd and 3rd degrees in at least two other arts by 25? That's the part that I'm having a hard time swallowing.

Aodhan

The thing that you have to remember is that often time rank progression is sped up since they don't have to learn the basics from ground zero.

Aodhan

The thing that you have to remember is that often time rank progression is sped up since they don't have to learn the basics from ground zero.

I realize that, and it is still within the realm of possibility, but just barely. I'd still have to see his techniques in each art to judge for myself. Something like that just doesn't ring true.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player