• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A 4th degree in how many arts?!!!

I just want to know if anyone has ever encountered a whacko such as I have. Well there was this person, (no use in naming names) who said he was a 4th degree Black Belt in kenpo, and a 2nd in various other arts including nimpo and others. Well... turns out our white belts know more of the art then him and move better to boot. And he is only 25!!! So I wonder if anyone else has people that come to there schools and pretend to be hot shots. And how you guys delt with it.

-me

Through the night, a raven's schrill cry,

The wind, caressed by darkness, howls through the sky.

The stars in the heavens look upon the corrupt world below,

And as mankind's laid to rest, their fate they do not know.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, I think that in order to really declare yourself as a black belt in multiple arts, you better be darn good at both/all of them. And that would take waaaaaay more than a 25 year old could do.

Of course, you must alwso take into consideration that some of the belts may be honorary - something that I would never take (gives me a good idea for its own thread).

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Edited by parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

yeah - you see a LOT of people with 8 x 5th degree in whatever arts.... and then 3rd degrees and maybe a couple of 8th degrees and grandmaster ranks to just even things up :D

Some people have trianined and legitimately earned multiple high level betls.... but then there are a lot of people where you just have to think - did you really have time to do it?

I would seriously check out his credentials and bona fides. Something doesn't seem right.

However, many arts will recognize belts in similar arts. So, if you have a WTF Kukkiwon 2nd degree, a karate school might recognize him as a 1st degree and just let him catch up the early material at his leisure, this would give him a jump on things.

Still seems a bit fishy though.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

A lot of people with high ranks at young ages aren't credible, which makes it harder for the credible to be accepted.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

Some people just like to be belt collectors, rather than say, sports card collectors.

Doesnt make you any good if you study 10 different martial arts, but you're not good at any one of them.

what is the ranking time qualifications of american kenpo? In my association, you have to wait three years between each dan test. So, counting the 3(and I'm being generous here) years it took him to get there, he would have been training in American Kenpo for 15 years, which means he started at 10. Now, also in the IKCA, you cannot hold the rank of adult BB until age 16. You can be a Junior Black Belt, but that isn't quite the same, now is it? So, assuming 16 at 1st dan, 19 at 2nd, 22 at 3rd, and 25 at 4th. The math works...

Not by any means defending the guy, because I run across people like this every now and again. It is completely disheartening.

Now, the guy having multiple BBs over 1st degree at that age just probably won't be accurate.

My instructor is 35 and has a 4th degree in Chinese Kenpo, a 3rd degree in TKD(unsure of federation, but I think WTF...he doesn't teach it, and I never asked about it), a 1st degree in Freestyle American Karate, and a 1st degree in Okinawan Kobudo. So, multiple dan ranks, but also has 10 years on that guy.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

what is the ranking time qualifications of american kenpo? In my association, you have to wait three years between each dan test. So, counting the 3(and I'm being generous here) years it took him to get there, he would have been training in American Kenpo for 15 years, which means he started at 10. Now, also in the IKCA, you cannot hold the rank of adult BB until age 16. You can be a Junior Black Belt, but that isn't quite the same, now is it? So, assuming 16 at 1st dan, 19 at 2nd, 22 at 3rd, and 25 at 4th. The math works...

Not by any means defending the guy, because I run across people like this every now and again. It is completely disheartening.

Now, the guy having multiple BBs over 1st degree at that age just probably won't be accurate.

My instructor is 35 and has a 4th degree in Chinese Kenpo, a 3rd degree in TKD(unsure of federation, but I think WTF...he doesn't teach it, and I never asked about it), a 1st degree in Freestyle American Karate, and a 1st degree in Okinawan Kobudo. So, multiple dan ranks, but also has 10 years on that guy.

If he were a 4th dan in ONE art, I would have no problem with it. Like you say, it's all the other ones piled on top of it at his age that gives me a little warning flash.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player