• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yellow belt

al karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I get the same feeling after a new belt. Maybe becaus it makes me work harder to get the next belt? or maybe i feel like there is something i havent been able practice as much as i would have wanted to? I just got my blue belt, i think everything went great, except the left yokogeri. The thing is, if you have a good sensei and she/he passed your grading, then you shouldent worry. Your sensei obviusly thinks that your worth your grade and if there is something missing you will get to work on it for the next grading.

Or maybe its becaus yellow is clearly the hotest color and you just feel like you wanted to save the best for last.

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

Remember you are not a yellow belt when you pass. You grow into the belt somewhere along the process. By the time you go for the next grade aim to be the best yellow belt there is... and then you have to start the whole process over again :)

I have suffered the same anti-climatic feelings on some of my gradings, but I think it's just because you put everything into it and then it's over. This is especially true if the sensei provides input on what can be improved. It's too easy to hear the negative and forget the positive (You got the belt, you must have done well).

Congratulations. Don't worry about it and have faith in your sensei.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I also sometimes feel the same way , we put extra pressure on ourselves because we desire to be good,I have had my yellow belt for a couple months and my Sensei asked me if I were ready to test for purple and I said you know better than I do.

Yes I felt like that when I got my 5th kyu last november but it did not matter as I left the Mc dojo I was at and found a good dojo. Now I am 7th kyu again.

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that a belt only represents workj that you have done, and skills you have achieved during your time in the arts...that's it. It doesn't automatically give you anything more than what you had before.

Try not to get hung up on belts. I know fantastic black belts, and I know some that wouldn't last 20 seconds in a street fight. A belt is just that...a belt, nothing more.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I feel belts are an important incentive but don't get hooked on the idea of racing up the belts. You can never learn karate too quickly. Take your time. Understand the level you are at and don't forget what you learned in your previous belts. I would always keep practicing all the moves from previous belts and return to beginners classes when I was allowed. My sensei didn't like higher belts to go to beginning classes as they overcrowded them, unless they continued that evening and took the advanced class.

:up:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

I feel belts are an important incentive but don't get hooked on the idea of racing up the belts. You can never learn karate too quickly. Take your time. Understand the level you are at and don't forget what you learned in your previous belts. I would always keep practicing all the moves from previous belts and return to beginners classes when I was allowed. My sensei didn't like higher belts to go to beginning classes as they overcrowded them, unless they continued that evening and took the advanced class.

:up:

At my dojo, we all train in the same class except for tournament competitors that have a special class focused on combat training, but, seeing as how we have two senseis, and sometimes another ni/shodan to help them, we all just go into the same class and get split in groups.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off track. What is good enough when you reach a belt? Only you will know if you are good enough when you are ready to go for your next belt.

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

• 1 month later...

CONGRATULATIONS Alex dont worry about it when i skipped my orange straight to red i felt the same way but like angela said have faith in your sensei and his decisions

FEAR is only a four letter word

RORY