• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever failed?

I blew a couple of testings in my time.:D

Every bloody one of them... was a blown board break.

You'd get three shots to make the break... BUT..

If you missed on the first try... that was that... you were getting a 'no change' in rank, period...

The second two 'attempts' were your chance to try to end your day on a positive note, even if you did get a failing grade.:D

Usually though, if I blew the first attempt... I'd blow the other two as well. :lol:

Now all this said.. I wouldn't call those blown testings 'failures'... I'd just call them 'percussive misadventures'.:D

No big deal... sometimes the board breaks... sometimes it feels like your hand (or foot) breaks.

Only had to wait 2 months to have another go at it after a blown testing.;)

It would only have been a failure if I'd have tossed my dobok in the dumpster and gave it up.;)

"Tournaments are the least important aspect of martial arts..." Pat E. Johnson--Technical Advisor and "Chief Referee" for the Karate Kid movies.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah I agree, sometimes people just give up and go well i failed one test so im off.

Ive seen a couple of people keep coming back to have a go and really put the effort in.... just hope i dont have to experience it too soon. :D

I haven't failed a grading yet, but mainly because I wait so long to grade that I know everything inside out. I have had to fail one person that I was grading before though, and I didn't like that much at all. It's hard, because you know that if you fail them they might give up alltogether. On the other hand, it is practically impossible to fail a yellow belt grading. As long as you have some idea of what you're doing and you've tried something, we pass you. At least in my dojo.

I've had 6 testings behind me and haven't failed one yet (knock on wood) but..our instructors don't let you test unless he thinks you are ready, we do pre-testing before the real thing, and that's when he determines if you are ready..the only way you'll fail if you're ready is if you go out there, and they say choon-bi and you walk off the floor..., if you do your best..you won't fail! I've never seen it happen yet.

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

one time i was the only one in my class to pass a testing (not being arrogant just telling a story) the board break was a jump spin side kick to break two boards (had to be on first attempt) and eveyone else botched it.

Fist visible Strike invisible

sometimes with breaking, it can be so easy to mess a test up by making a single mistake..... so sometimes it can be down to luck [as even the best of us miss sometimes, or dont quite hit perfectly].