• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever failed?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I haven't failed (touch wood).

But a mate of mine failed the braking section in his grading (TKD) and had to do the whole thing again at another dojang the next week to attain his black tag. Not as bad as having to regrade the next day at 6am but still, at least he passed on his retry.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

I never failed a grading, but I blew two stripe tests a few months ago. My brain totally went blank on my forms, and the other I forgot my self defense stuff. So I worked hard to memorize everything for the next two (which I got). I ended up helping someone else that was about to fail. I did the defenses first so they knew them :D

Laurie F

Yes, once. At the blue belt test. I remember that I was sick a lot during that winter, I ruptured a muscle on my back and just didn't have enough training behind me to be up to the criteria.

Our clubs policy is that you have to grade once the minimum traning period from one belt to another has passed. So even if you know you're not prepared yet - you have to go. Which really sucks in a way... But it kinda makes you push yourself harder. ;)

Thankfully I have another year before my next grading. :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

We don't call it "failure" because you only fail if you give up. If you do not pass your test it is called a "no change". Since it is a true test, not everyone passes. Colored belt tests are easier to pass, and we don't let people test unless we feel they can pass. Black belt tests are much more difficult. I have "no changed" twice as a black belt, but both times came back and passed the next test.

I am testing for my 3rd degree BB on Thursday in front of our organization's national board of revue. Historically, about 50% of those who test for 3rd degree pass. If I don't pass, I can't test again until the next national event which is in September.

--

Yeha its not so much a failure as someone saying ur not ready yet.....

but still havent not passed a test yet, I've seen a couple of people fail, but mainly its due to lack of effort rather than ability.

I personally haven't failed (yellow belt test has to be impossible to fail). But not too long ago, a really cocky kid failed his Blue belt test. He has it now, but it really served him right. He's arrogant, just because he can now practice with the adults, he doesn't come to the kid's practices. Sorry, I'm in a bad mood with him presently.

Can't we all just get along?!

I learn to fight so I don't have to.