• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there anybody else who can't swallow pills?

KarateChick06

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, thank you!

Your welcome. :)

I couldn't swallow pills at all when I was a kid. I still have a horible gag reflex and it's still very difficult. Especially large rough pills :(. OJ helps because it lubricates them which means you don't feel the pill going down as much. At least that's been my experiance.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Your welcome. :)

I couldn't swallow pills at all when I was a kid. I still have a horible gag reflex and it's still very difficult. Especially large rough pills :(. OJ helps because it lubricates them which means you don't feel the pill going down as much. At least that's been my experiance.

Hmm! That sounds like something to try :idea: I also have problems with pills... thankfully, I'm rarely sick; but I'd rather not chance that forever :lol:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I couldn't swallow pills for the longest time, and it was purely psychological. Eventually I got embarrassed that I was the only person my age I knew who couldn't swallow pills, and got tired of crying every time someone told me I was being ridiculous.

Here's what I did:

Put the pill on my tongue, and worked it to the back...didn't tilt the head any irregular way. My goal the entire time was to pretend the pill wasn't even there, that I was just taking a drink of water. I think I may have taken a few "practice" swigs with just water, then downed the pill.

Whatever you do, don't tense up...try to stay calm and relaxed, which will help keep your throat a little more open.

Let us know if you have any luck!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm supposed to take an antibiotic, and now have to drink this yucky, pinky kid stuff b/c I can't swallow pills. (The pills couldn't be cut, crushed, or chewed.) Does anybody have any swallowing suggestions?

I've practiced all these ways with tiny candy, and it still doesn't work:

1) Put the pill on the tip of my tongue, took a swig and tilted my head back.

2) Put the pill on the back of my tongue, took a drink and tilted head forward.

3) Put the pill on the back of my tongue, took a drink and tilted head back.

4) Put the pill on the tip of my tongue, took a swig and tilted my head

5) Filled mouth with water and dropped pill in.

6) Filled mouth with water, dropped in pill, gargled.

7) Put pill in mouth, gulped water.

8) Chewed food, put pill in that, swallow.

^And many other ways. I can't psych myself out because there's nothing to psych myself out of. I'm not afraid of swallowing pills; I desperately wish I could swallow them.

Argh, help! :lol:

ME! But I'm different than you--I'm actually afraid to swallow them. I think I'll die or choak or something. Everyone tells me it can't happen, but I'm still scared.

"Karate is about discipline and the first discipline is showing up for class." ~ Carter-sensei

Like Ninjanurse said, it's purely psychological. I recommend filling your mouth with water/liquid and then popping the pill in. This way it should be slightly suspended in your mouth and not be in direct contect with your tongue. Swallow quickly and it should go down.

I can't swallow pills either, I just force them down my throat. LOL. I dunno, might not be for you, but it works.

2nd Dan - Tang Soo Do

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down."

"Fear is the true opiate of combat."

wish i woulda known about orange juice long ago

ive been taking perscription pills for years

used to have a lot more trouble swallowing them

eventually id put a lil bit of water in my mouth, add the pill, and then drink some water to make it go down...

mostly though that was because otherwise the powder type pill gets stuck to ur tongue if u put it in first, as well as tastes nasty(at least my biggest one)

orange juice does sound like a nice idea though :)

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein