• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going from judo to BJJ and vice versa

Hey guys, and gals I have a question for you. I was asked by my nephew about starting bjj and judo. He wanted to know which one he should start first. Well all of you should know that I'm biased when it comes to this topic (check the name :P ) but I think my rational for this is sound.

If you are interested in judo and bjj I would recommend you take up judo first and here is why. Judo will give you a good working knowledge of the ground and thus the transition to bjj would be smoother. On the flipside however if you train in bJJ first and then switch to judo you will be completely lost as to what to do because you will have little to no foundation to start from when you learn the throws. The nuances of throws are just much harder to learn then the nuances of ground work.

I'm only going to ask you once...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I found that my a base in traditional throwing arts was a great advantage when I studied BJJ. Made getting to the ground a whole lot easier and much more enjoyable :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I agree with you guys, he should start Judo first and then, if he desires, go for BJJ. Better start by knowing how to fight on your feet first with throws and then concentrate on the ground (although Judo does that too, but at a lesser extent).

I would like to add one more thought.

Having a strong base in BJJ will make you more confident in your throws and takedowns because you know if you dont get them or get taken down you will be fine fighting from your back.

I have noticed this lately..Im more willing to try a throw because i know if I dont get it I will be ok working from my gaurd.

I agree with that. If you are confident ion your ground game you will be confident enough to commit your whole body into a throw. There are more things that go along with that but that certainly is a key factor.

I'm only going to ask you once...