• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keying your black belt

Bleeding Lion

Shocking practice I recon'.

But I also think that other karateka and MAists should be not so quick to judge.

In MANY styles of japanese art, the belt is a symbol of accomplishment in training. At Kyokushin we are told not to even wash our belts, as even dirt/sweat stains are a sign of hard work.

Ive seen karateka whom have had the same belt for 30+ years, and are worn white, mind you, these karateka are 50-60 years young, and have been training for the lifespan of many of the hotshots on this forum.

Again, tearing your belt on purpose is discraceful.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a frayed belt that I have retired and have purchased a new one I have seen many sensei's in Okinawa wear frayed belts None that I know have keyed them just alot of hard training :karate:

if martial arts was not like or similar to the military, then I guess that every time my sensei told me to practice my punches, kicks, kata, etc., i really didn't have to because my white belt or any other color belt was just as good as his black belt and all the stripes on his belt, right? all those sparing sessions & body conditioning drills that sensei made me do turned out i could've said "no" & it would've been just acceptable?

Martial Arts, done the right way is just like the military. a new recruit fresh out of bootcamp wouldn't be given the same respect as an admiral or general. why would they? who would u rather bow to? a white belt fresh in the dojo or a black belt & or sensei? The pyramid of rank & authority is just the same in the martial arts as it is in the military. the martial arts, like the military, is a dictatorship not a democracy.

Martial arts are not like the military.

In the military you have committed yourself by contract to obey your superiors and it is your sworn, legal and professional duty; in martial arts you have committed yourself by your word, and it is a privilege (not a duty or a right, mind you) to obey your superiors.

There is a huge difference.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I agree.

IMO-The respecting your superiors part of MA's is a part of self-growth, in regards to learning to respect oneself, others, and the world.

Military is quite different i think.

Keying a belt is rather lame, IMO. I like the look of a new, crisp belt. I wouldn't intentionally tear up my shirt or scratch up my leather oxfords, so why intentionally mess up my belt? I know belts mean "respect" to a lot of people, but to me they are an arbitrary western creation.

At Kyokushin we are told not to even wash our belts...

Simply Febreze and you are good to go! :D

Seriously though,

IMHO, the condition of ones obi, is a symbol of the levels of dedication the particular karateka has.

If one wants to wear a crisp, clean, bright belt, Kudos. Thats fine with me.

I just wanted to note that some styles use the obi as more than just a symbol of rank. (or to hold gi's closed!)

Osu.

I'm a 25 yr old sandan, will be yodan soon.....but my belt looks brand new.

'course before I opened my dojo I practiced mostly in sweats. I think 19 sandan is kind of young tho.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

i dont think it matters about the age of the black belt it matters how good they are what enoys me is that children of about 12 get a blck belt ansd you can see they arnt putting in proper effort and the techniques isnt correct as to keying youyr black belt its a disgrace old black belts look good but keyed ones dont

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Sensei told me many schools that compete key belts to make it look like they practice a lot more than they do.

Haha..I would go the other way in a tournament. I would have a brand new belt to make them think I had just tested the other day and didn't really know what I was doing yet just to play off the opponents cockyness.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!