• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keying your black belt

Bleeding Lion

Thats really a disgrace (using a key or something else to scratch your black belt and make it look older and whiter than it is).

A visiting young student came in our dojo last night, being sandan at 19. His belt was practically white, but you could tell it was worn out for other reasons than years of hard work. It is really a disgrace when a student keys his/her belt to make it look like s/he put lots of work.

Ultimately, like my sensei told me afterwards, everything shows on the mat. Thought the incoming student had good kicks, he had no real power or commitment in his techniques, and didnt know all the curriculum required for a rank of shodan (as my sensei told me), but was sandan. Sensei was telling me that if the student was to practice regularly in our dojo, he would put make him an ikkyu.

Keying your belt is immature and is contrary to MAs, no wonder why people set an age limit for shodan rank. Sensei told me many schools that compete key belts to make it look like they practice a lot more than they do.

Thats disgraceful.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed 100%

Big time believe in age limits for Dan ranks

Ive traiend for just over 12 years and been black belt for since May of 96 and I just have a few lose strands. lol. Im lazy.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Agreed 100%

Big time believe in age limits for Dan ranks

Ive traiend for just over 12 years and been black belt for since May of 96 and I just have a few lose strands. lol. Im lazy.

I also agree. The belt I have around my waist is around 17-20 years old or so. It's not frayed (cost me quite a bit at the time as I recall), but does show it's age. And a 19 yr old sandan? *shaking my head* :roll:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

anybody who tries to key or do anything to their belt, whether it be black or any other color, should have their rank revoked. especially at black belt. i'm assuming that anybody who's ever made shodan, on their certificate says something l along the lines of: ".....any discrace or dishonor to this rank shall revoke in immediate revocation of rank and honor." When I become a sensei, i'll have no problem of enforcing this policy.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

I totally agree. Anyone who keys their belt is being disrespectful the rank and recognition belonging to all black belts.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

I agree all the way. At some of our tournaments, we see soem younger kids with BBs that are frayed adn messed up looking...kinda like they were acid washed or something.

I wanted to take a white belt and scrub it with a wire brush and tell them that I've been a white belt for 13 years :brow: :lol:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Hmm. It's juts a belt - a piece of cloth. If people want to go with the "instant sensei" -look and think that it's fashionable, it's their call. They don't fool anyone.

People generally connect frayed belt to experience. However, in Japan and Okinawa, when masters give demonstrations in big gala events etc., they tend to get a new belt for the event. No wear and still all the skill.

I've worn one belt until the moment it did break when tying the knot. No keying, nothing special - just a poor quality belt and approximately 5 years of pretty much daily practice. Nowadays I have a very good quality belt. I'd say that generally the first signs of wear begin to show after ~100 classes and stay rather minimal for a long while.

When I see a guy with a completely worn out black belt (many have their belts with no black showing), I check the skill. If the skills can show that the belt has aged "normally", I still tend to wonder if a belt really can wear down to the point that only black left is the little scrap between embroidery letters. And I think that those persons still should get new belts.

I believe that many high ranking lads with lots of skills "prewear" their new belts by throwing them to tumble dryer or similar - just to "catch up" with their old belt (stolen, lost, broken, replaced for any reason). Just a fashion statement.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I believe that many high ranking lads with lots of skills "prewear" their new belts by throwing them to tumble dryer or similar - just to "catch up" with their old belt (stolen, lost, broken, replaced for any reason). Just a fashion statement.

That's not quite so bad, on the condition that your old belt was already so worn that it broke when you tied it. But then again, isn't the whole point of getting a new belt the fact that it's new? LOL.

My sensei's first black belt is all white but a small strip in the middle. He got a new belt because that one was so old and frayed so much. His newer one still has signs of wear and tear though. He's been a BB for 30 years, and an instructor in his dojo for 20 yrs.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?