• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questions regarding opening a school

Word of Mouth is how you will end up getting 90% of your student base from what I hear. Most of the students I have recieved have been that way.

I can understand you not wanting to make a profit off of people and just want to teach to share the art. I think that is great and I too started out that way but I did learn in the long run you will have to either have another job or charge enough to make a living. Its everyones dream to make a living from something they love to do. And by making a living off of it is not a bad thing or something to feel shameful about. Just be fair in pricing and such and you will be fine.

You can start off small like that then work your way up. Also remember the bulk of your students will be children so starting programs in a school system or park and rec type program for both adults and children will help. It will be something that will help you with that bug and also see if its something you would really want to do full time. Programs for school systems and park and rec programs usually go for a period of so many weeks meeting only once to twice a week. It is Something you can do to get your name out as well as making a little coin for your time. Think of it this way it covers your gas and also puts some money into your fund towards your school one day.

Take a look at what it costs to learn a musical instrument or to take dance lessons. Things are not cheap again if there is anything I can do to help just let me know. I used to teach for chain of schools and I learned a lot while I was there till they ripped me off in pay and would not fix it. Thats when I opened my own school and I am happy that I did.

Any questions you have feel free to ask :)

Respectfully Yours,

Keith

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m considering asking them if they’d be interested in learning in a one-on-one type environment, either for free or for very little. I don’t want to make money from anyone; I just want to spread my knowledge that was generously passed on to me.

While I admire your position, always remember - people rarely value something they get for free. Strangely enough, one of the better ways to retain students and encourage their attendance is to charge them.

Matt White

While I admire your position, always remember - people rarely value something they get for free. Strangely enough, one of the better ways to retain students and encourage their attendance is to charge them.

Matt White

Thanks again, that’s something that I hadn’t considered. I still have aspirations of opening a school, in the distant future. I have a family that I have to provide for and I can’t lose my benefits and steady income to risk it all for a school right now. I’m hoping that by starting small – one student – I can build up a reputation and clientele. I used to teach private lessons on the side and that alone brought in a couple students to the school. I know that there is a small group in this area that is interested in learning the martial arts, however, I don’t think that group is big enough to pay my mortgage and utilities. My Instructor taught full time, but he had four schools total, three in other towns each about an hour away.

Perhaps after the holidays I can start teaching some of my co-workers. Thanks again for everyone's insight.

One thing that you need to consider though, is people here are recommending you charge around $80 per month, but the truth is middle class America cannot afford that amount.

Gas prices have nearly tripled in the past year, electric/heating bills this winter will be around $400 per month in my area (they are usually less than half that), cable tv (if you have it) is around $50 per month, an average mortgage is $600-800 per month (in my area), your car note can be around $350 per month, the kids come home every day needing money for school pictures and functions, signing the kid up for football is $100, then more money is needed for football parties, tshirts, cleats, pants, trophies, etc....

Exactly where is the middle class, much less lower class, going to get an extra $85 per month? Also consider promotion fees, uniforms costs, gear costs, association fees......

Which of the three economic classes is the bulk of your students coming from? If you are in an area where layoffs have stayed away and near more well off neighborhoods, then you are okay to charge such a high amount. Otherwise, you need to go down a lot.

I live near Aiken, SC and a few schools charge around $80 per month, but most of them charge around $40 per month. Obviously the cheaper ones are doing far better than the one of two expensive ones.

Ask the average person on the street if they can afford their two kids taking classes at $160 per month and see what they say.

lk

I guess it really depends on how you define "middle class". My school is in a middle class suburban area and I have no problem attracting students at $90/month. Sure, there are many families that cannot afford it, but many can. If I cut my price in half, I doubt I would double my enrollment.

Fact is, I would rather have 100 students at $90 each instead of 200 students at $45 each anyway. Either way you would gross $9000/month, but it would be easier to provide quality instruction to the smaller student base.

One of the biggest mistakes instructors make is not charging enough.

Certainly your market has an impact on what you can/should charge.

But just because the other schools charge $XX.XX, doesn't mean you have to. Simply put, sometimes you have more to offer than your competition.

As for middle class America incurring greater expenses... yes gas and utility prices are expected to increase. But signing your kids up for any activity is expensive. Football, dance, martial arts. Should I have to charge less because the others are charging more?

I'm not an advocate of charging excessive rates, but if you set your prices too low up front, it's going to be very difficult to raise them later.

Good point whitematt. I offer superior training and instruction to my students, so of course it's a little more than the competition. If competitor pricing does come up, I actually tell the prospective student "Yes, it's true that we are not the cheapest martial arts training in town." Then I explain to them about our program, training and class availability.

I don't know that I've ever lost a new student on price. If price is their primary consideration, I probably don't really want that student.

• 4 weeks later...

When I first opened my school in 99 I started with 3 students & my basement. I ended up with about 26 students. Then I joined the army, now I'm reopening the dojo, but I don't have my old house anymore.

However, some high schools will let you use their gyms, or weight rooms. They are cheap, come with wrestling mats & have all the room you'll need. Mine gonna cost me $2,500 yearly not counting the B&O taxes & all that *. I get enough cash I'll get a real building. Most of my business comes from cops, military & security people I give them discounts. ;)

Later,

Ron

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!