• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tsd in karate?

kitsune_no_tama

the other day i was flipping through tv channels and i found this disney channel commercial that was being used to support activity. it was labled "karate dreams" in which the disney channel people interviewed a kid on karate. though if you zoom in on the patch on his uniform, it says he belongs to tang soo doo style. i was wondering whether tsd can be entered in a karate open or not. im pretty sure that tsd is a korean martial art, so im not so sure. maybe its just a blatent mistake made by the disney channel filming cast.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Today the word "karate" is very generic...most of the public just associates the word with martial arts in general. As far as open tounaments go, usually anyone can enter. They must fight by their rules and kata is judged on technique not style, although they may break the divisions down into hard or soft..it just depends.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

i thought so. i guess disney just wanted to appeal to a wider variety of people by giving them a word easier to associate with martial arts than tang soo doo. as for tournament open ness, thats why im glad im in karate, because the ata taekwondo i used to be in was so introverted, the judges could only judge forms copywrited by ata.karate on the other hand, has entries from kung fu (gasp). its like squares and rectangles. a square(korean martial arts) can be a rectangle (japanese martial art), but a rectangle cannot be a square, sadly.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

I used to practise Tang Soo Do. At that time if people from outside would ask me what I practised, I usually answered that I was practising Taekwondo. Some other students of my school also did this. The reason for this was that nobody ever had heard of Tang Soo Do, Taekwondo was more commonly known. If you answered that you were practising Tang Soo Do, you again and again had to explain what Tang Soo Do was. Because you were not always in the mood to do so, you just said you were practising Taekwondo.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

Well my instructor would chew my head off we called our art taekwondo.But yes tsd is consederd korean karate. the wtsa disputes this but my nstructor was co founder of world.He told us gm hwang kee called it korean karate because of it japines influinces.Thas y its tangsoodo. Tang=chines influinces soo=korean do=japinise

Well my instructor would chew my head off we called our art taekwondo.But yes tsd is consederd korean karate. the wtsa disputes this but my nstructor was co founder of world.He told us gm hwang kee called it korean karate because of it japines influinces.Thas y its tangsoodo. Tang=chines influinces soo=korean do=japinise
doesn't tang soo do mean "the way of the chinese hand?"
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

yep, just like karate also means chinese hand

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

yep, just like karate also means chinese hand

then why does this guy say Tang=chines influinces soo=korean do=japinise ?
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Yes you our right i apoligze.I alwess tought we got the word do froum japines.Yes tsd mean way of the chiness hand. I was simply trying to show how we show our influinces.I didnt mean it ment thous things.I was showing how tang was showing respect to our chines influince.Soo was korean and.Untill today when i asked my instructor i tought do was took froum the japines lanweg to show thear influince in our art.But i was rong so i do apoligize

PS.sorry for the bad grammer.I will try to improve on it