• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tricks of the Trade / Favorite Combos

PBI

What are some of your favorite tactics and combinations in kumite? Do you have something that's your "out pitch" as they say in baseball, upon which you can depend when all else fails or you need to finish off an opponent? Are there techniques you admire and are working to master?

For me, I have had success with a "delayed gyaku-zuki" that involves starting the reverse punch before moving forward, creating an effect that your strike is "pulling" you toward your opponent. (Hard to describe if you haven't seen it done.) I find that the unconventional timing and body movement really mess with people.

As far as techniques I'd like to improve, I'm working on front leg sweeps and jodan uramawashi giri...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar technique that involves a backfist..it usually fools them. And if you miss it puts you in a perfect position to land a solid roundhouse to the ribs.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Right leg mae geri landing forward at 2 oclock instant left leg mawashi geri, works great even if mae geri is blocked.

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

here is a great tip for sparring a member of shotokan: use front leg kicks on the aggressive. :) front leg kicks are extremely uncommon to most practitioners of the style, so during their own practice they are uncomfortable to block it. they expect a little more time between action and reaction, and being that they are the action, the reaction is that much more deadly.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

heres a good one.

do a front kick a few times and have the opponent block it.

this is used as bait to set them up. after they succesfully block 2 o3 3, go as if you are performing a nother front kick. when they block low, raise up on the back leg and your actually doing a kind of heel stomp kick. if you bait them right, and then rise over their block and land this, its awesome. be careful though, because it can be dangerous.

ave it for when your insturcitr is allowing heavy sparring

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

just got done sparring. i found that front leg crescent kicks are EXTREMELY uncommon and really effective against another shotokan practictioner. use this type of kick on the agressive opponent when they try to charge you, then follow up with low circular foot technique, then aim high again. mix it up, but try to aim far away from where you initially drew there guard. heres another good one: stomping sweep to close the gap, then when you get close, spinning hook to the head.i cant tell you how many matches i won executing this combo several times. people seem just too inclined to back up, that you can use that to your advantage.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

I was once sparred with a very aggressive BB lady. She normally uses 80% punches and 20% kicks. As always, she would initiate first with jodan and chudan punches. After sparring with her for awhile, I moved my left front leg back to get ready for a roundhouse chudan level. She took my bait. She thought that I was retrieving and she took that opportunity to move in with her double punches. Boy, I got her good.

I used to use a combo that involved faking a kick so my partner dropped their gaurd, then I'd backfist them in the side of the head :) It scored 95% of the time. That was for point sparring, though.

I can't use backfists in TKD. So I mainly use front leg kicks, because most TKD people are not used to it in sparring.

Laurie F

do a mawashi geri low middle and high with thew same leg before your foot lands back on the floor.Most people werent used to that kind of kicking so it weirded them out.But for this u need good balance and speed.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu