• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo Kicks

Just a few fast questions. I always enjoy reading about and comparing different styles, but alot of times moves and techniques go by different names. While reading over a list of kicks found in the kenpo style I noticed 2 or 3 kicks and did some searching on google but I can't find much info. So I'm just wondering if anybody can tell me what these kicks are.

Wheel kick

Chicken - wheel - snap - thrust...

And what does it mean when it says "shuffle"... Like shuffle side kick.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you step into the kick...... either cross the legs, or draw one leg up2 the other to get your weight behind it.... i do TKD but this sounds similar to one of our moves.

A wheel kick is reverse turning kick (roundhouse). You deliver sort of like a back kick but follow through with the heel or sole (depending on circumstance) as the striking surface.....and land in the same position you started in.

Never heard of a Chicken Kick.

Snap is a kick that sort of Flicks out...the damage done by the whipping action.Can be either front, side, back, etc.

Thrust is a kick that uses the hips to thrust the kick forward into the target...can also be either front, side, back, etc.

Shuffle is as Sam says, each style varies, but you are exchanging the lead leg for the rear leg to generate more power in the kick.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

A wheel kick is reverse turning kick (roundhouse). You deliver sort of like a back kick but follow through with the heel or sole (depending on circumstance) as the striking surface.....and land in the same position you started in.

Like a hook kick?

Yeah I duno about the chicken kick. But It was like Chicken snap kick, chicken thrust kick ect. :-?

Anyways thanks guys.

Yes, a hook kick. Now that I have taught at three different schools I get all confused with the names...every one is different :kaioken: !!! Why can't we all just be the same?:P

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Different techniques, too. :D

Never heard of a chicken kick (Maybe a kick while you're running away? :D :D)

For us a wheel kick is like a hook kick, except the leg stays straight and level all the way through the kick. This one REALLY depends on your rotational force rather than muscular.

Thrust kick is kind of like a cross between a front kick and a side kick. You bring the leg up like you would for a front kick, but push straight forward instead of kicking up. It's designed to get distance when you are in too close to another person.

Snap kick to me is just a short prep front kick.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Wheel kick

Chicken - wheel - snap - thrust...

And what does it mean when it says "shuffle"... Like shuffle side kick.

Never fear...somebody who knows more than speculation is here!

Chicken kick - A double kick in which the first is performed, and then the second is fired as or just before the first kick lands, giving sort of a hopping motion. Some people do both in the air, and, while this looks pretty, it is incorrect, so stop doing it! (Sorry, just yelling at AK peoples)

A wheel kick is a roundhouse kick with the toes pointed - this technique is actually, in our dojo, at least, taught only to the kids, because they tend to not get the whole, "Pull your toes back," thing. It is, however, useful for sparring as well. The primary disadvantage is that you can seriously jack up your foot if you do it wrong (Strike point should be top of your foot).

A snap kick is just that - a kick that is snapped, which should be all kicks. I don't even know why people call them that...

A thrust kick is like a front kick, only you strike with the heel, meaning you have to pull your foot way back, and shoot your leg out straighter. Kind of painful until you get flexible enough.

A shuffle, I'm guessing, in your situation is a drag-step (drag the back foot up to touch front foot, step front foot forward) or a step-drag (step front foot, drag back foot). It may also mean sliding the back foot to touch the front foot, then kicking with the front foot. All of these are done from a fighting stance.

Hope that helps!

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

the chicken kick we do in our system is done to the rear(but you could use it in other directions if you needed to, but I wouldn't), and used in the fashion stated above. It is one heel kick followed by another before the first lands. It is meant to done very rapidly with the first kick doing less damage and more disorientation, while the second uses the body's momentum and the rear thrusting motion to really lay in the damage. This kick can also be used to cover distances.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Ah yes that helps alot, Thank you much :D

One more question. I understand the chicken snap kick cuz there's a kick like that in my style, but how would you do a ckicken wheel kick?

Thanks again :)