• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

katas which one are you on?

karate kid 1

I like to think that all the kata I do are never good enough so it always gets better but Iam mainly focusing right now on Bassai.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always work on all the ones I know. There are 13 katas in the Seiki Juku up to black belt, without weapons.

White - none

10th kyu Red - none

9th kyu Blue - Taiki sono ichi + ni

8th kyu Purple/white - Taiki sono san

7th kyu Purple - Pinan ichi

6th kyu Yellow - Pinan ni

5th kyu Orange - Pinan san

4th kyu Green/white - Pinan yon

3rd kyu Green - Pinan go

2nd kyu Brown/white - Geki sai dai + Skino kata

1st kyu Brown - Saifa, Sanchin, Yanshin

- Bo kata ichi, ni & san

I think you have to keep practicing them, to perfect them and remember them.

:karate:

Edited by Monkeymagic

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

i actually work gankaku for shotokan and sanseiryu in goju ryu....

the objective is not to now the most katas as possible, but to now them well! in goju ryu i think that i "know" only 4 or 5 katas, and i am working on about 4 elses (i practice goju ryu for about 12 years now...)

I've done Ichikyu, Nikyu, Pinan Shodan, Sankyu, and will (hopefully) get to work on Nihanchi (sp?) Shodan. Lucky me, I've already been walked through that kata, so it shouldn't be too hard.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

At the moment I am studying Seiunchin. It's a weird but cool Kata. The start of it reminds me of Tai Chi! I don't need to know it yet but it's nice to get the basic form of it so when it's done by the senior grades, I'm not totally left behind. I will concentrate on perfecting Saifa and mastering Bassai-Dai though as they are both more relevant to my current grade.

The past got us here and leaving it alone was the only way I could be sure we'd never have to live through this nightmare again.