karate kid 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomari Passai, eh? Haven't heard of it before. I'll have to ask around at the dojo, but I'm pretty sure no one there knows it, as most of them only study the Seito Shito Ryu kata, with the exception of a couple of people.

At the moment...iam practising Happo Sho, Kenshu, Kensho and Kenpaku.

Will do the ryuei-ryu katas on next month. :D

You know you shouldn't just hop kata like that. Ryuei Ryu is more than just kata, it's a whole different mentality than Shito Ryu. If you really want to train Ryuei you should find a qualified instructor.

I train with Scot Mertz, and he is a Ryuei Ryu guy. He was showing us stuff before he left that was blowing my mind away. Ryuei is pretty damn aggressive, esp when compaired to Shito. The kata are only one part of the equasion, you really need to learn the inclass drills to get the full experience. If you are in the US there are quite a few Saishu Ryu guys here, and we use a lot of Ryuei drills in our training.

However with the Happo Sho (do you mean Haku Cho?), you might want to look at the Hakutsuru Katas. There are like 4 of them that I know, all of them are over 300 techniques long and take about 4 to 5 minutes. If you are just looking for challenging kata, you should check them out.

I have been working hangetsu for almost a year. I will learn a new black belt kata in January, but do not know which one will be shown to me, could be jitte or gankaku. Looking forward to learning a new one though.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

At the moment...iam practising Happo Sho, Kenshu, Kensho and Kenpaku.

Will do the ryuei-ryu katas on next month. :D

You know you shouldn't just hop kata like that. Ryuei Ryu is more than just kata, it's a whole different mentality than Shito Ryu. If you really want to train Ryuei you should find a qualified instructor.

I train with Scot Mertz, and he is a Ryuei Ryu guy. He was showing us stuff before he left that was blowing my mind away. Ryuei is pretty damn aggressive, esp when compaired to Shito. The kata are only one part of the equasion, you really need to learn the inclass drills to get the full experience. If you are in the US there are quite a few Saishu Ryu guys here, and we use a lot of Ryuei drills in our training.

However with the Happo Sho (do you mean Haku Cho?), you might want to look at the Hakutsuru Katas. There are like 4 of them that I know, all of them are over 300 techniques long and take about 4 to 5 minutes. If you are just looking for challenging kata, you should check them out.

ok..whatever it is.

iam still on training with those katas. iam qualified to do so.

have a happy christmas John :D

• 3 weeks later...